I want a rottweiler puppy but I have small kids would you get one?

I want a rottweiler puppy but my girls are 4 & 3 and I am not sure about getting one. I know hat a dog is not mean unless made that way but I'm sure you all know what people say.

KallaLilli

Asked by KallaLilli at 10:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pets

• The best dog I have ever had was a Rottie. My son was 4 when I bought her as a pup and those two were inseparable. She never let anyone come between them and she slept with him. Rotts are very smart and protective dogs by nature. IMO they are the best family dog. We lost ours when she got bit by a rattlesnake during a camping trip. She got between the snake and my son.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• we had a rottweiler the whole time my two oldest were growing up the best dog i have ever had yes i would reccomend it he was very gentle and would not let anyone touch his kids not if he thought they were a threat good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• oh and by the way we are looking for a doberman pup right now so if you know of any let me know
    jodi205

• yes, as long as you get him as a puppy you can train them to be loving gentle dogs. they are not mean by nature, it is just the product of some peoples studpidity that makes them that way through training.
    jltorres87

Answer by jltorres87 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would say go for it. Our pedi told us that having an animal around actually helps with allegies and what have you. So there is another perk to add to the joy and love of a new puppy for your family!
    MOMSART

Answer by MOMSART at 10:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• ANY dog will be mean if it's trained to be that way. Some of the sweetest dogs I know are Rotts and Pit bulls and Dobermans.One of my dogs is half Rott half Beagle ( odd combination, I know) and she is so sweet.

Rottweilers are big and playful though, so make sure you have a yard for it to get lots of exercise.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Any dog can be good or bad around kids... it's all in how you raise them.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would! I love rottweilers.. I just don't have the room or a backyard to have one.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• absolutely! They are wonderful family dogs and very good with small children...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My best friend had a Rotti, and she was soo adorable and sweet! She adored my friend, was so sad if she left to go somewhere without her.

Go for it! I am a firm believer in the fact that every child should have a dog! (unless allergic of course)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008