feeding

my doctor told me i could start feeding my dd. shes 4 1/2 months. she took to it really good the rice and otmeal. but can i start baby foods like the stage 1? alot of my friends say not to until shes 6 months? but some say its fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our Pedi said to start on cereal at 4 months. Do 2 weeks of rice, 2 weeks of oatmeal, then start on stage one foods.
    VastVeranda

Answer by VastVeranda at 11:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i started mine at 4 months on fruits its easy and smoother but only keep to one thing for a week that way you know if she is allergic to it or not
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Personally, I didn't start any of my kids on solids until they could sit up on their own at about 6 months. At first I started them off with bananas that I steamed and mashed. The taste was similar to breast milk and I felt it was more introducing texture into their diet so they could learn to manipulate it to the back of the mouth and swallow. After they figured it out, they ate of my plate. I didn't do the baby cereal thing, I did however feed them oatmeal and cream of wheat when the were a little older around 7 or 8 months.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i started my son at 4 months at stage one- at six months you start them at stage two, it says it on the baby food cans. my son LOVES his food too
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You should not be giving your baby ANY SOLIDS until she is SIX MONTHS! That includes cereal and oatmeal!

That is the recommendation of the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the US Department of Health and Human Services and many other well respected health organizations. Your doctor is WRONG. Please read this article:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2008