Have a drink or not?

I have a very small glass of red wine every now and again. Maybe two times a week at the most. It doesn't make me feel funny or drunk. Is it wrong? My hubbys aunt thinks one drop of wine is a sin..... I don't know about that.

Be101

Asked by Be101 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wine drinking is all throughout the bible! It isn't the drinking that is wrong it is getting drunk.

EmmaS4

Answer by EmmaS4 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• no, they drank wine in celebration in the Bible...Jesus even turned water into wine, so i doubt he would do that if any alcohol was evil. if your DH's aunt thinks drinking is wrong thats her conviction and she has every right not to drink. but you see no problem with it and you are right too. alcohol consumption is a personal thing...maybe that one drop of alcohol inhibits her in a way she doesnt like...when it comes to alcohol every one's level is different.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Enjoying a drink is not a sin IMO. But to each his own. It's only a problem if people try to push their beliefs on others
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• it may be a sin for him, if he has tendencies to desire alcohol. in that respect, if your drinking a little now and then, causes him to have a temptation he feels he cannot control, then, you may need to refrain.
    drinking isn't forbidden; being drunk and out of control is. (biblically speaking) and, as i stated, you shouldn't cause a stumbling block in another. (temptation..although its not your fault if someone gives in, you wouldn't be a tower of strength and encouragement for them not to stumble. makes it hard to lean on each other when you disagree/behave to extremes.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It is not a sin! Do not let her make you feel bad!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• If she--or you--are a christian, then you should remember what Jesus' first recorded miracle was. Turning water into wine. He could have simply purified the water so it could be drunk, but he didn't. He made fine wine out of it. I don't believe in sin myself. But I agree that excess drinking is wrong. My father was an alcoholic. Nearly every penny he made went to beer, before he even THOUGHT about feeding and clothing his wife and children. You aren't doing that and kudos for being sensible about it. She chooses to avoid alcohol completely. Okay. It's her life and her choice. You may need to remind her that your life is YOURS to live...not hers.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• The sin,I believe,is in the drunkenness,not the drinking.So,have a glass of wine or two on occasion....just don't get shitfaced! LOL!
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 1:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Everything in moderation dear. If drinking wine were a sin, why are there so many examples of it being done for positive things in the bible? Why is Jesus serving wine to his followers and then commanding that they continue that practice? I have met others like your DH's Aunt, but I have yet to understand the idea behind the belief...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i dont see why it would be a sin. catholics drink the blood of the body in service so apparently not all religions believe this is a sin. at my church it is offered during our Christmas service (Lutheran)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No, that's not a sin. I don't believe in sin but, even if I did, excess would be the sin not drinking in moderation.

Personally, I can't imagine drinking without feeling something, but, I don't get drinking decaf coffee, either, lol.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2010