Will giving my baby a pacifier really interfere with establishing breastfeeding?

When my first one was born, the nursery at the hospital gave her one in spite of my objection for this reason, but then she had no problems nursing. I'd kind of like to have a pacifier as an option this time as well, because my first really liked hers and it was helpful for me and didn't seem to cause any problems. Has anyone actually had trouble getting their newborn to take the breast due to pacifier laziness? Or are there other consequences to using a pacifier?

knightmoves

Asked by knightmoves at 10:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No problem... the pacifier just helps their need for extra sucking. They know where to go for food! I'm personally a pro-thumbsucker though... I hated the pacifier because I was constantly having to give it back when if fell out and I never got any sleep until I took it away and my DD found her thumb. But you've been through it once before and you know what you're getting into so go for it if you want. Pacifiers don't cause nipple confusion.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 10:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Let the kid dictate whether or not they need one. My son didn't use one until he was nearly 2 months old. I'd rather have a binky sucker than a thumb sucker.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 10:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I've been told it can cause a problem, but I never had a problem. Best to get breastfeeding estalished and then give them a pacifier after a couple of weeks. But no my second loved his hopital binky and wouldn't take any other brand. It smelled like vanilla. I don't think my other two got pacifiers until later, but I can't remember because they weren't as picky! Ha ha ha Best wishes and good luck!
    older_mom

Answer by older_mom at 10:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I used soother and had no problem getting either of my kids to nurse. However, I didn't give it to them until they were 4-6 weeks old. I wanted to establish the breastfeeding first...I was told they would be confused...that wasn't true for me. Both of my kids rejected the soother at 5 months, so I got rid of them. Neither of the suck their thumbs, but both had attached themselves to a stuffed animal, so I guess they have "soothers", just not something to stick in their mouths. :)
    bekah305

Answer by bekah305 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• The pro-breastfeeding nurses in the hospital asked if they could give him one because he was distrubing the other babies in the nursery. :) Some babies are really picky about their nipples and things, some could care less....mine, for the most part, is the latter.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes, it can. Some babies can have a pacifier and be fine, but many can't. There's no way to know if yours is one of the ones who will have a problem in advance, so it's just best not to start.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 12:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It definately can. Many babies do fine with it, but many do not.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008