Waking up at night Screaming

My 1 year old used to sleep through the night since he was 5 months old. He would go to bed at 8 and wake up around 7. Recently over the last 3-4 days, he has woken up screaming bloody murder like he's scared or something. Anyone know why or how to handle it??

ClvDandJ

Asked by ClvDandJ at 10:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 15 month old started screaming at night too, he also used to sleep all thru the night. well a couple of weeks later i noticed 4 little teeth popping out of the bottom of his mouth so i bought him some teething medicin and now hes sleeping great again! maybe your baby is teething, check his mouth for swollen gums or little teeth coming thru.
    TeenMom17-Mszy

Answer by TeenMom17-Mszy at 11:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Get a red soft blanket.....I know that sounds weird, however it is what worked for my youngest twin. He can't sleep without it, but it does help a ton. Also, a night light. Doesn't have to be bright, just something so that if he does wake up, he knows that he isn't in the dark.
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Oh, by the way, the blanket that my son uses is a Nebraska football fleece, so it doesn't have to be solid red, just good majority red (it has some white and some black). Other red blankets with bright colors don't work. I was kinda bummed because it was my favorite blanket......but he sleeps! LOL
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• What's so special about a "RED" blanket? I've heard this before too but have no idea why?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Could be one of a few things. For my DD, who has done that on and off at times, but is generally a great sleeper, it's usually either teething, she's VERY thirsty, pooped, has gas, or a nightmare. Last night was a nightmare and she only wants Daddy when that happens... But anyway, feel him out... Take a sippy/bottle (whatever you use) with you. If he refuses that, check the diaper. If it's dirty or changing it doesn't soothe him, check for gas. If it's not that, do whatever you normally do for his teething (teether, orajel, tylenol, whatever). If none of those things are it, it's probably a dream or a noise that startled him and all you can do is hold him for a bit, reassure him that you're right there whenever he needs anything, read another bedtime story, sing another lullaby, do whatever your normal bedtime routine is, and leave like you normally would. Otherwise, he'll learn to get you up even when he doesn't need to.
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 6:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2008