Does it matter?

Me & dh are 13 yrs apart. He's older. My 1st x dh is a year younger and I am sure that was a major reason we didn't work out.
My friend is 24 & her new bf is 44. They work well together. Her ex dh is 3 yrs younger than her and I personally think that's a big reason why he tried to control her so much - feeling he had to have the upper hand. Her new bf is awesome, but her family struggles with the 20 yr age gap.
Should that really matter? She's mature for her age and he is a real old school gentleman and after being abused from ex dh, she needs to be treated like a lady.
What do you think?

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• My guy is 16 years older than me. There's never been a problem stemming from our age difference. I don't see why you think a year would be the reason it didn't work out before. A year isn't anything as far as ages.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• when your younger I don't think it matter as much but remember......when she is 34 he will be 54 and then 44 he will be 64 he might not want to go and do the things she wants to do anymore? Age as a way of slowing some poeple down. If she doesn't mind then thats good for them.......But I always say think about the future......
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 10:55 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• no, my dad is 13 years older than my mom. they are about to celebrate their 25th anniversary this january. the father of my oldest was younger than me by three years and he was very controlling, which was the reason we didn't work out. it wasn't because of his age, although he was immature at times there were friends his age that were worse. it was his controlling behavior that distanced me, i will not be controlled by anyone, ever. he had a tough reality check when his shit was on the front lawn one day. and i was pregnant, i couldn't imagine what kind of father he'd be to our child (not that i'll ever know, he could care less about her).
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I had an uncle with this same type of age difference with his second wife. If they can accept the fact that the age difference will present some different circumstances when they are older then it is fine. That uncle died and left a fairly young widow. But better to have loved and lost than never have loved..............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• nope I never look at the age gaps I look at the quality of the relationship. As long as both are over 18 yrs of age then its fair game...period!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 11:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• age is just a number
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My fella and I are just over 22 years apart. We are a re-kindled relationship after 12 years apart. I found him when I was in an abusive relationship with a guy 3 years older than me. I think that says all it needs to.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• In mine and my friends case, I think that the younger than us guys we had were controlling in part due to the age difference as a way to be "the man" because of feeling inferior to us.

My friends' family is having a hard time with the age difference. How can I help them be assured that this guy is better for her than her x? Right now I have them concentrating on the fact that she is safe and that matters more than anything - which they agree with.
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My fiance is 2 years younger than me and it has never been a problem. Age is just a number.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My first was 7 years older, my husband is 6 years younger. Age doesn't matter, only the people
    justme19641964

Answer by justme19641964 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2010