Anyone have tips for getting powder cheese NOT to clump?

I've been trying to perfect the boxed macaroni & cheese but the cheese insists it must clump in places. It's not a horrible thing; I just like consistency!

That said, I've tried everything I can think of... The closest I came was the other day when I had the butter and milk completely mixed in. Then I added HALF the cheese, stirred it in and added the rest.

Anyone have any tips (besides "make real macaroni & cheese)?!!

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 11:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can mix the powder and the milk/butter in a bowl and wisk before adding it to the mac.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I always add the powder first, stir it in then add the butter and milk.. or you could mix the cheese in a seperate cup with a little milk and mix it all up then pour over the mac, add rest of the milk and butter
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I never have a problem with it clumping. I melt the butter, add the milk, then the cooked macaroni, stir it to coat the macaroni then add the cheese. Maybe you aren't adding enough milk. I never measure but probably add a little more than it calls for.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• While the noodles are draining,  I whisk the milk and cheese in the pot on low heat when it's dissolved I add the noodles back in. I don't add the butter and I don't miss it. I do melt 3 pieces of slice cheese in with the powder though.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I mixed the cheese with the milk and then added it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i either mix the milk, butter, and cheese in the pan before adding the noodles back, or i sprinkle the cheese all over the noodles before stirring it in. i only have trouble with kraft clumping though, generic never does it for me. or i get the kind with the squeeze cheese, like velveeta.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Add just a little at a time, and thoroughly mix in before adding more.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Powder cheese? eeww!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Powder cheese? eeww!!!
    rkoloms don't get on your high horse about someone using powdered cheese. We're all in different situations. Every mom on here should feel free to ask any question. She's asking a question, not asking for bashing.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2010