HPV Shot for boys

I am a pro vaccinating mom but this one is causing me issues. From what I was told by a nurse, HPV cause genital warts in boys/males (which is prevented using a condom, which I also push). My son is 14 and I really am thinking twice about even getting this one done. It has just been recommended for boys in the last few years. I am ok with vaccines that have been around for 30 years but not one that is brand new. Does anyone even know what that affects are on boys? I have a friend that told me I was a bad mom for not getting this vaccine. I told her my son could learn to use a condom and prevent many other STD's and AIDS. I asked her if she researched what the affects are on a boy. The later affects. Could he become sterile for one? She said, No but I don't want him getting genital warts. Hmmm....I just need others perspectives on this one. NO BASHING!!!!! Or I will delete the post.

Asked by tyfry7496 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I have trusted my pediatrician ever since, she had a flyer that explained to me what kind of protection it gives my sons. (Ages 15 and 13). At that time I understood it and didn't hesitate. So I got them the shots in their arm along with flu-shots. Now, I don't remember anymore what made me agree. But I am sure it is for their benefit. Anything to protect my kids. I am a Pro-vac mom. You have to know your pediatrician.
    notaperfectmom

Answer by notaperfectmom at 11:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i didnt even know they had that vaccine for boys, do they inject it into his penis? sorry if i sound ignorant but the one for girls gets injected into her vagina right? i dont think it makes you a bad mom, maybe try googling it and see what you come up with :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No pookipoo, the vaccine is given as a shot IN THE ARM for both girls and boys.

Comment by tyfry7496 (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• weird i wonder where i got that from then lol
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have been asked about this one as well. My son is only 11 so I am not in a hurry to get it yet. I will have to do a lot more research. When it was suggested to me I physically took a step back, it caught me so off guard. I am a pro-vax ing Mom if it matters, but I am not sure about this one yet.
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 2:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Nope, not in my house. Neither my daughter nor my sons.
    When most doctors I know here with children are choosing NOT to vaccinate their children with the HPV vaccine.....makes you think.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think you are his mom & you need to follow what your gut tells you. What friends say or think you know what is right in your heart.
    Shelbegto

Answer by Shelbegto at 1:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2010