Do local turkey farms sell to individual people? Or in just mass sales?

If they don't, do grocery stores sell unfrozen, fresh turkeys? I've only ever seen frozen ones.

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can call a farm and ask if they sell direct to the public. I've never seen a grocery store or farmer's market that sold never- frozen turkeys.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• The local turkey farm near our home in MA sold to the public.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• the turkey farms out here sell to the public they have a sign out front that says call to order your turkey before they are all gone!
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 11:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Sweet! I tried calling 2 of them, but no one answered. I hate waiting, so I asked here. I'm gonna keep trying, but they may just be closed. I'll def call on Monday. Are they more expensive? Um, are they already processed? We don't have to pluck them, do we? Hubby asked, I laughed, and asked him, 'why don't you wanna pluck the turkey?'. He wasn't amused! LOL!!!
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I'd call and ask them.........I always buy frozen ButterBall for turkey day.

Never had 'fresh' non frozen..........
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We always buy the cheapest frozen. And stuff lots of seasoned butter under the skin. It's always super juicy, and we always have an awesome turkey. Problem is, it's never always thawed, no matter what we do. How early we put it in the fridge. So, we thought about buying a fresh, not frozen one.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I'm not sure, but a store like Whole Foods would be more likely to have local turkeys, but they are probably still frozen.

EmmaS4

Answer by EmmaS4 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Most turkey farms do not sell to the public because they are under contract with Tyson or Perdue. If you do find a turkey farmer willing to sell you one it most likely will not be processed and still alive when you come to pick it up. We haul the turkey manure out of these kinds of houses and usually the meat isn't very good unless you just want the breast. If you have a local farmer that grows turkeys to sell as whole birds and under a certain age then they will be ok.
    Mommy_of_LttlD

Answer by Mommy_of_LttlD at 11:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes some do, you'd have to call. But grocery stores also sell frozen and fresh.....but you have plenty of time to buy one and thaw it for Thanksgiving. A turkey will take a good 3-4 days to thaw in the fridge depending how big it is.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• have you tryeed googling turkey farms in your area? the ones close to me sale to the public but only for like a week before the freeze them.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2010