does bp meds interfere with conceiving?

i am on amlodipine a bp meds and i need to know if it can hinder or cause problems with trying to conceive. It is a very strong med and i asked my med dr and she said it wouldn't but the bottle says warning do not take if pregnant or trying to get pregnant. What the?

Tylee7

Asked by Tylee7 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think it will cause any problems ACTUALLY getting pregnant because it typically BP medication does not interfer with ovulation and hormones.

THAT BEING SAID....

I would call and talk to a pharmacist. Ask them about the medication and tell them you are TTC. See what class the medication is in. I do know there are safe BP medications that you can take while pregnant and TTC. Find out if yours is one of those.

If your doctor is okay with the medication and TTC then you are probably fine but considering I don't like to a take a tylenol while pregnant I would definately do as much research as possible on the medication.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• thanks will do. i just want to make sure because amlodipine carries a pregnancy warning. i guess i'm being overly sensitive lol.
    Tylee7

Comment by Tylee7 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• A lot of medicines carry a pregnancy warning to avoid potential litigation. It may not have anything to do with conceiving, but may cause possible side affects of birth defects. This is what you need to find out! Better to be informed and know, then to find out later. Best wishes and baby dust to you!! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010