My husband is Bi Polar, what are the chances of my son having this disorder?

LogansMamma0511

Asked by LogansMamma0511 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Health

• Okay, good. It was absolutley no reflection on you for my asking. Lots of CM members do self diagnose mental illness so I wanted to make sure I was accurate when I told you what I told you. Ok, so relax. You have a long time before signs will even show. Enjoy, your sweet baby and take it one day at a time. Start watching for it around 11, BUT don't go overboard on it either because he may have nothing wrong, and it could make him feel like there is something wrong. Best wishes!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would think 50/50 just like any other gene
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think you and your husband should have genetic testing and counseling. My MIL and SIL were/are bipolar on husbands side. Our 10 y/o daughter was just diagnosed bipolar. To put it mildly, it has been an extremely difficult journey thus far raising her and the future doesn't look especially bright. Good luck.
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 12:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Bipolar isn't a genetic mutation, it's a chemical imbalance, but because of your husband having the disorder your son's chances are greater than if neither of you had the disorder. Your son's risk of developing bipolar with one parent having the disorder is 15-30%, depending upon what other risk factors he is subject to.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Oops. Just re-read that you already have a son. Read up on symptoms of childhood bipolar. If he has any of them, I'd consider having him see a therapist. My daughter started seeing one at 7 and just was diagnosed. She started due to "anger issues."
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 12:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• rhianna is correct. it is a chemical imbalance. i don't know what i was thinking. some childhood depression and childhood bipolar symptoms mirror eachother and of course, depression is a chemical imbalance. sorry about that.
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 12:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Do you know for a fact that he is bi polar? Has he been diagnosed or recieved treatment. I'm just asking because sometimes people self diagnose based of symptoms. I would have your husband get a second opinion just to be sure. Because bi polar disorder does pass down to children. I know of a few cases personally. If it is something else, and not bi polar, you don't want to tiptoe around your son his entire childhood thinking there is something going on with him that isn't.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes he was diagnosed and has been on Seroquel for years now. He always had problems as an adolecent but quite honestly his parents never took care of it, they just thought he "was a bad kid" (I've heard this from his mother's own mouth.) He never sought help until we got together in 2005. He has seen a number of doctors and they all agreed that he is indeed Bi Polar. I'm just worried about my son. I just want to make sure if he does have it then I take care of as soon a possible. He's only 6 months but I'm already a worry wart.
    LogansMamma0511

Comment by LogansMamma0511 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2010