How do you get your child to play on the playground?

I take my 2 year old son to the local school's playground so he can play with other kids. He usually plays on the equipment for a second and then just enjoys running in the field and collecting sticks and rocks. I really would like him to be around the other kids but he really loves just running around on his own, no where near other kids. How do you get your child to play on the playground?

aidensmomma508

Asked by aidensmomma508 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every child is different. Maybe he's shy or nervous. Does he have any siblings/cousins to play with? Do any of your girlfriends have kids that are close to his age that he sees often and plays with?
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My son was really shy at a playground at first too. Once we put him in daycare and he was around other kids more often he would play with them but he is still a follower. When we go to the park he follows the other kids around and they get annoyed by it. So I wouldn't push it, he will want to play with other kids eventually, he just has to come out of his shell. Try getting together with a play group where there isn't as much room to get away from the other kids and make it pleasnt meeting the other kids by holding his hand while you introduce them and just being by his side while they interact so he knows it's okay.
    rosie2484

Answer by rosie2484 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• some kids have more fun doing that
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would just let him do what he does. It sounds like he is having fun playing by himself. Every child is different. Eventually I am sure he will enjoy the company of other children.
    PhiLLy-StyLe

Answer by PhiLLy-StyLe at 11:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Just put him in more "social" situations as often as you can. Playgroups, indoor playgrounds, friends kids. Introduce him to the other children, and have him learn their names. If you have any friends with kids or can attend a playgroup, have him join a group activity with the other kids.. or let him play with a kid that has similar exploring interests. He'll come around. I wouldn't worry.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 1:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My son loves exploring, playing with sticks and digging in dirt. I think we first got him to start playing on the toys by playing with him. Another idea, do you have any parks with sand boxes?
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 2:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Hey, every kid is different... One of my DD's favorite acivities of all time is putting on shoes REPEATEDLY. She also LOVES to read more than almost ANYTHING. When she goes outside, she bangs keys on the metal staircase and jumps up and down on metal covers over drainage areas. It doesn't all seem like typical toddler entertainment, but I LOVE that- I love that my little girl is not afraid to be her own person and I encourage her to continue to be that way. I NEVER push her to do "NORMAL" things (unless it relates to eating, brushing teeth, etc). Try looking at differently- think to yourself, I wonder if he's going to be an adventurer? Will he love rock climbing? Skiing? Deep sea diving? Will he be a geologist? A botanist? I think along those lines when it comes to my DD, the Fashionista Extrodinaire =)
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 6:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2008