Is it wrong to fly an American flag in another country?

Does it matter if you are on an American military base or not? Likewise, is it ok to fly another country's flag in America?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 12:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is ok to fly an American flag in most countries, though in some countries it would be considered distasteful (in Vietnam, for instance). You can also fly other countries' flags in America. There is always a rule of thumb: The flag for the country in which you reside will be higher than the other country's flag, except on military bases which are considered American soil.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• NO!!! However you should be respectful of that countries "feelings" as well. (Just as they should be respectful of ours!)
    rajapup

Answer by rajapup at 12:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think it's fine to fly another flag in America if you use the correct protocol.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• As long as you aren't disrespectful, I think it's fine. My husband flies an Italian flag, and an American flag.
    busyyoungmom

Answer by busyyoungmom at 12:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I see people in America with the Union Jack, or the Mexican flag in their yard, right next to the American flag. I don't see what the big deal is. They are just proud to be both I guess. I'm sure they don't mean disrespect. Maybe they are greatful to be in America but don't wnt to forget where they came from, so I could see it the other way around. But military bases are military turf, so I can see why it's done.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I lived off base in Italy during 9/11 and I hung an American flag. I felt like I had to do something because I was not in the country when it happened. My landlord was okay with it and encouraged I do that. I asked him because I did not want to offend anyone since it was a different country. I see flags all over the place flying here. I have neighbors who have a German flag and the American flag up in their yard..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No, it's not wrong unless that nation has some kind of law against it, they just need to follow that nation's flag codes--just as anyone flying the flag of another nation here in the U.S. is supposed to follow the U.S. Flag Code. People can fly flags of other nations here in the U.S, but they need to follow our flag etiquette. If another nation's flag is flown with the American Flag, the American Flag should be larger and higher (and in the center if there are mulitple flags) or to the center or right if being carried in a procession. In times of peace, the other flags should be the same size. There are some exceptions to our flag code, one is that any other nation their national flag must be placed in a place of prominence. The U.S. flag code only applies to flags flown on American soil. Another exception that I'm aware of is the UN headquarters flies all the member nations' flags in Alphabetical order.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Also, I wanted to add that if there is political conflict or extreme violence in an area, it may not be wise to fly it, even if you technically can. You just need to know the laws and mood of the area to decide what fits that nation's flag etiquette and what's safe.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I too, think you need to respect the laws of the Country. In America, I like to see multiple flags. I like to see people take pride in their heritage.. but I find it disgraceful and disrespectful to fly another flag higher than an American flag in our Country.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• that should say *IN any other nation in the 1st answer
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010