Can someone who drinks quit for good?

I wanted to see if anyone knew of anyone who quit drinking for good?

I am married to someone who is recovering and within a year, he has had a few beers and been drunk and finally said to me he does not want to quit. If I get mad at him for drinking (even just one) he gets mad at me for “bitching him out” and I am wondering if anyone has been through this and after some time, noticed her husband, boyfriend, and life partner quit completely. He has been drinking since he was 13 and he is almost 60 years old. Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• I can only tell you from my own experience and I have a ton of people in my family that are alcoholics, you have to stay out of it!!! Completely. Drinking one just made me want another. I would stay sober for months at a time and then think one beer isn't going to hurt. Before I knew it, I would be up to a 12 pack a day. I'm not proud of it but you need to know that if he wants to stay sober, he can not drink AT ALL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• yes they can
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• They won't quit drinking unless THEY want to. My father has been drinking since I can remember. He has had health issues related to it and still won't stop.

It is possible, but only when they decide to do it for themselves.
    PhiLLy-StyLe

Answer by PhiLLy-StyLe at 11:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My dad has been an alcholic for over 50 years...
    Your husband has to want the light at the end of the tunnel..
    You nor your family can do it...he has to do it...and do it for himself.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes, they can but many need the help and support from AA or similar. It is an addiction and he has to want to stop and find the help

Anonymous