I just got my results from my yearly pap smear...it came back positive for HPV... adult content

Any one else have it or had it? I read that it sometimes goes away. Is that true? What happen to you when you found out what procedures did you go through? I have a biopsy coming up in 3 weeks. I'm scared. I never had an irregular pap smear till now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Health

• Don't be scared. It is good to be informed, there is a terrific site for information. I am an awareness ambassador for Health Talker and our sole function is to educate the public on HPV.

So, not to scare you but here are some facts:
    HPV can cause cervical cancer if left untreated, as well as genital warts. There is a LOT of incorrect information out there on the internet but www.hpvfacts.org does have reliable information and is created by the American Cancer Association and the Center for Disease Control.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• There is no cure for the virus itself, but many HPV infections go away on their own. In fact, about 70 percent to 90 percent of cases of HPV infection are cleared from the body by the immune system.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Actually, there is so much in the news right now about this disease. They are doing research as to if it goes away- with that being said, there are several types. If your pap came back +, that means you have the potential of developing cervical cancer. You will need to be monitored. The kind that causes warts is not the same as you have. In fact, if you have the wart causing HPV, chances you will not develop cancer of the cervix. However, it is still wise to have an annual exam. If your pap comes back as suspicious, they usually do further testing... I am assuming you had all that done too?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I had it back in 2002. Back then they weren't saying much about HPV. One doctor told me I had stage 2 cervicle cancer, 1 told me I had dyplasia and the last doctor told me I had "an STD" and basically called me a whore. But they did a biopsy and found pre-cancerous cells. They then did cryotherapy (which hurt really really bad). I haven't had an abnormal pap in almost 8 years now, so believe it goes away. Just make sure you are careful with partners so you don't spread it. I think 1 in 4 people have it now...

Bottom line: I will be okay. Just make sure you watch it.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I meant "It will be okay"
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i have it. it is VERY common today. My paps are always abnormal, I've had a colpo exam which had normal results (*phew*), so you just gotta be ontop of the pap tests so they can keep an eye on it! every 6 months or so!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2010