I just hit my 3 month old's head off the counter?!!

I was making her bottle and accedently hit her head now theres a pretty noticable bump and its pretty red, can she get a concusion(sp?) from it? should I keep her awake? or call the doc ? Ugh I feel sooo bad *tears*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To be safe, call the doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 12:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Don't worry, plenty of us have accidentally done things like that, but definitely call the Dr just to make sure all is well.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• She's pretty small. Take her in to the ER. Even if she isn't crying. Head injuries on small babies are iffy. Don't chance it. Hang in there!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I agree with everyone who says to get it checked just in case. I've hit both my boys heads so many times (by accident) and they've always been fine.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

•  It happens to almost everyone...don't beat yourself up. I know the signs of a concussion, but if you don't have medical training, I would call the pediatrician just to be safe. They will probably tell you there is nothing to worry about, but its always nice to have your fears eased.

hugs

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes. Call the doctor, if anything to calm you down. I feel asleep while burping my 5 weeks ago and he rolled off the couch on his head and was okay. Bonus? The ER doctor was Grey's Anatomy style hot. I felt so stupid crying in front of him.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would at least call a nurse line before rushing to the ER.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Call the pediatrician or triage nurse to be safe. Some usual signs of concussion to watch for:
    * loss of consciousness
    * drowsiness
    * dizziness
    * confusion
    * vomiting
    * irritability
    * drainage, clear or bloody, from his nose, mouth, or ears
    If my son bumps his head, I also check for unequal pupil size with a small flashlight. That can be a sign of concussion. If normal, then I watch for any other problems until I'm sure he's fine. I don't think you have to keep them awake, but I have watched my son for a few hours before letting him sleep to be safe. Just see what the doctor advises.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2010