Regardless of your beliefs.....

Do you think that if others TRULY understood your beliefs that they would adopt them?

There have been many times on here that I've seen people make the statement that others disagree with them because they don't understand. For me, the only time I can honestly say I disagree with something is if I understand it. So, it always confused me why people would assume that I don't comprehend their beliefs when I don't share them.

Feel free to explain your POV!

BubbaLuva

Asked by BubbaLuva at 12:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Religious Debate

• no, but i think true understanding makes it a lot easier to respect others beliefs.

I mean there are a lot of ppl who are Biblical scholars, but dont follow the faith systems (Jewish/Christian). they understand the tenets of the faiths, they just dont see them as valid or feel a connection. like i can understand someone's motives behind their actions and still disagree with their actions.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No, I think people have different needs and deep belief systems for a reason I respect that, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of wrong information about my beliefs as well as others.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Not really. People are very diverse, so it would only make sense that what they identify with, and what path they choose, would be just as diverse. I do believe that if more people learned about Hindu philosophy they'd be pleasantly surprised, because it's a beautiful, free, and loving way of thinking about God, life, and humanity, but I don't think everyone would choose the same path for the reason I cited above.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• And just to add to my answer, I do agree that not agreeing or not believing the same doesn't always mean there is a lack of understanding.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Do you think that if others TRULY understood your beliefs that they would adopt them?

As a Christian ... if someone truly understands my beliefs, then they are likely indwelt with the Holy Spirit and already Christian. I really don't expect non-Christians to TRULY understand my beliefs.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• lol, I completely understand what you mean. I get the whole "you don't understand because you haven't excepted Jesus into your heart" speech.. but what people don't understand is that as a child I was born and raised Christian, I went to church, accepted Jesus, was saved, the whole nine yards..

It just never did it for me. I've had too many other experiences that contradicted the beliefs I grew up with. Now I'm not saying that someone else hasn't had other personal experiences of their own that justify their beliefs, I'm just saying my own personal experiences and education have lead me to believe otherwise and I wish others could just respect that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No, that line of thinking sounds pretty ignorant and narrow minded to me!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't think so...like for instance, I have friends that don't believe in the idea of marriage. They believe it to be the last legal form of slavery and just a piece of paper and, as long as you're committed to one another, you shouldn't have to prove it by getting married. I disagree, but I completely understand their POV. I get what their saying and, except for the legal form of slavery part, I think that they have valid arguments.

As far as religion...I have my own beliefs and I've noticed that a lot of people actually think the way I do...but I'm adult enough to understand that everyone has their own beliefs and ideas about everything and just because I may voice my opinion doesn't mean that others are going to agree...to me it's one of the good things about being human, adult, and given my own mind...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 1:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I am always in the mode of education where it comes to other culutres and their religion but I do no adapt to their philosophies. Then again I am constantly educating myself on differing beliefs. I attend many different religious services throughout the year and learn with a open mind and I still keep my Pagan beliefs strong

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No. I think we all follow the path that speaks to us. Just because you understand the beliefs doesn't mean you agree with them or that they are right for you.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2010