Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

i dont know what to do! question about retracting..

my 23 month old got sick from me (i feel so horrible about it!) yesterday and woke up with a nasty cough yesterday morning. so i gave her a breathing treatment (borderline asthmatic) and the coughing went away for the day. she has a once daily preventer treatment as well but it's obviously not doing it's job because this morning she was wheezing slightly, retracting slightly, and had a low-grade fever. right away she had a treatment, and was fine for a couple of hours. she has to wait 4 hours between treatments, but started coughing again within three and retracting. she's doing it now in her sleep. waiting for on-call doctor to see if i should take her to the er but it's been an hour and no response! the picu nurse didn't have a shred of advice for me. question is should they go to the er with any sign of retracting or just really bad retractions?


Asked by tnm786 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 43 (159,608 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • With retracting I would totally take her in. My son has asthma and lung issues and luckily he has only ever retracted before he got proper treatment and diagnosis. But if he were to be retracting now despite being given his nebulizer treatments I would totally be t aking him in. Also, count her breaths per minute. What we were told to do is time it for 30 seconds and count how many they do and then double it. If it is 60 or above, it is a very good idea to bring her in. GL! And hope she gets better soon.

    Answer by Mipsy at 1:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • I'd go on in. Better safe than sorry, and it could well get worse by tonight anyway.
    Hugs to you both.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

  • yes that's exactly what im afraid of :( went to the er with her for this same problem about 3 weeks ago but didn't go in til 10pm and didn't get admitted til 2 am, so we were in the er for about 3 gruesome hours. it would be better to go now and if she gets admitted atleast it will be at a decent hour.

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2010