Baby Sign?

Do you sign with your baby?
How Long have you been doing it?
Do you have any victory stories?

hodgkinrus6

Asked by hodgkinrus6 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My friend gave us a baby sign language book when our son was born, but I never really used it. I was too worried that it would make it more difficult for him to start learning words. I'm hope to use it in the future though since it would be nice for him to know.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• How old is your Baby?
    hodgkinrus6

Comment by hodgkinrus6 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes - I taught all 4 of my older ones to sign using ASL at 5-6 months, and will be starting soon with my 4 month old. It actually promotes speech rather than impeding it - you always say the word as you sign. They didn't start signing back until they were 8-10 months, but it really helped me understand what they wanted before they started to talk

Answer by missanc at 3:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We sign, but DD is too young to sign back. She's 5 months.

Many of our friends sign. I can definitely say the kids in our play group who have a few signs to use really like having them. Fewer fits.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I did with my first starting at 6 months and about 10-11 months he would sign milk,eat, and 12 months he was doing please,drink,play, and it was really great..it helped wonderfully with communicating. I now do with my 5 month old and hes so little still but I ask him if he wants to eat(cereal) and he gets really excited :) I started with him @ 3 months
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:10 AM on Nov. 14, 2010