Since unemployment benefits are about to expire for many, what will happen to the unemployment rate? Will it look like the economic situation is getting better? Since they will no longer be counted, and since many people may take jobs much lower in pay than what they were receiving in previous job or benefits, being under employed, how how does this change the numbers?

I tried to ask this question yesterday, but I guess I didn't express myself very well, because from the replies, I think many thought I was bashing those who were collecting unemployment. That was not what I meant. I have several family members who are unemployed. I understand the individual hardship. What I'm wondering here, is how this will change the perception of unemployment compared to the actual number of unemployed.

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 1:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Combine this reality with expiring Bush tax cuts, and this is when we'll see the TRULY negative affects of all of these unemployment extensions and bailouts, because Obama and his Democratic Congress did NOTHING to lay the groundwork over the past two years to set up the "next steps" to actually REBUILDING this country or lure/encourage industry and manufacturing BACK to America and put all of the unemployed back to work! Unfortunately we haven't seen the worst of this failing economy yet! :o(
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We got health care though!

Maybe we can eat that!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I thought that there were two unemployment counts. One is the unemployed that have filed for benefits and the other is a much higher percentage of people that have stopped looking for jobs. (I know I am not wording this correctly). But to answer the original question, I think once those that have reached the limits of their benefits are forced off of the benefits it will make the count look much less, in which case you would be correct in thinking that it will make things look better than they actually are. I think we are going to see another bout of foreclosures and bankruptcies in the following months.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It won't change because once they drop off of unemployment they stop considering them. You know, it would look much worse if they started counting them all in the same basket.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think the unemployment numbers are already off. There are already a ton of people who's benefits ran and they are still not employed full time or they are significantly under employed. They never consider the people who have not found full time employment or are under employed. Only the people who are actively collecting the benefits.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My husband's unemployment benefits stopped about a week ago & it's still hard for him to find a job anywhere. But everyday he keeps on pounding the pavement & looking in the want ads in hopes to find something. In my opinion, they should let the unemployment benefits continue.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Do you mean that people no longer getting unemployment benefits won't be counted in the percentage of unemployed in this country?
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 3:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Actually that's a good question and I am not quite sure, but it's sure something to look into. It might make it look like it gets better even though, for some, it's not... Is my guess.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I guess those people who's benefits have run out may not be considered "part of the workforce" anymore. It may techniqually make the numbers look better because they won't be counted, but in reality it won't really change anything.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I am unemployed and looking for work and say ITS hard to find work...I am doing what i can, and even volunteering is heavily on my mind so that i can use them later as a reference. I also took a test provided by the employment department that shows employers you are job ready. I can also put that on my resume. When i lost my last job i tried claiming but got way to frustrated and confused with paperwork and claiming. Tried reopening it and again frustrated. I feel for those that are out there scraping to get by and snicker at the Nations budget and think someone is doing something terrribly wrong. My best wishes to families out there that are struggling. You are not alone.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010