Can you really only have a VBAC after a "bikini incision" c-section?

I had an emergency C-section with my son, nearly 5 yrs ago. The doctors told me I had to have a c-section w/ my daughter (3 yrs ago) because of the vertical incision they had to do with my son. So I've had 2 cesareans, one vertical, one low-lying horizontal...or "bikini incision". My DH and I want one more child, but I really dread the thought of another c-section.
Have any of you done VBAC after having a classic incision?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Health

• They generally won't do a VBAC after a vertical incision. The risk of uterine rupture is much higher than with a bikini cut (I'm not sure the exact percentage). I know it's heartbreaking when you want a vaginal birth. =/
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yeah...it is. But someday I want to become a midwife, so I can help other mothers achieve it. :)
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I had a v-back after a vertical incision. Here is the deal read about the issue. You can find books on it. I do want to let you know that scar tissue is tougher than regular tissue so when the dr.'s tell us that there is a chance of the scar opening up again that is crap. If your dr. tells you that ask him/ her how many patients (that he has seen) have it happen. Did the dr. see it first hand. And if that does happen what is the big deal they can stitch you back up.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2010