If you have 3 or more kids, how much do you make...and is that enough?

I know its a very personal question, so feel free to answer anon. I just want to know what a comfortable salary a couple needs to have 3 kids. (My DH and I are considering baby #3)

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• We are having our fourth next year. My husband makes roughly $45,000 a year. Sometimes quite a bit more depending on bonuses. Our biggest help though is that the military provides awesome medical benefits which makes all the difference in the world. It would take a lot more if we were in the civilian world and had to pay for insurance.
    Anonymous

• My husband makes around 40-50 thous. I draw disablilty which is Around 14,000. We live comfortable.
    Anonymous

• We have 5 kids and on average make about $40K/yr ... some years less, some years more, it just depends ... and for the most part we are comfortable.

MoonStruckMom

Answer by MoonStruckMom at 2:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• MoonStruckMom...how do you make that work? (We're at about the same income)
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My husband made just over 40k last year and we had 4 kids at the time. Now we have 5 and he probably made 45k this year (with all his OT).  We get buy okay.  We only have one car and rent our house but we're able to feed and clothe the kids.  They might not have the name brand stuff and every expensive toy they could want but they aren't suffering.

When we had our 4th my husband made 30k that year and we were also doing okay (living in a place where rent was much, much cheaper).  I'm a SAHM and have been since before our oldest was born.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think it depends on what lifestyle you want to live. Do you plan on paying for college, private school, do you want to drive newer cars, own your own home(if you do not already), do you want your kids to participate in sports, activities without telling them no b/c of financial reasons. Least these are the questions my dh and I asked ourselves when deciding if we wanted to have a 2nd child. We decided one was more than ehough for us. Plus, I am currently in grad school and planning on enrolling in a ph.d program. Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• II dont that its n
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• II dont that its n

Answer by rebeccadac 43 minutes ago
    --------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand...
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We have 8 and my hubby makes around 45-50k and we do fine, they want for very little and even if I had all the money in the world I doubt I would give them more.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think that the amount you make is not as important as how you make what you hae work for you... remember there are people who make 200,000 and cant afford 3 kids!  So many things to consider... but there is a time to decide if you want to be rich in money or rich in the love of your kids? People seem to manage with what ever income they have... You may have to get creative at times ( saving with coupons, mom2momsales or extra jobs once in a while)

rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010