What would you say if you found out~White House Staffers Got a Bigger Raise Than You Did Last Year?

Obama famously instituted a salary freeze for all White House staffers earning more than $100,000 on his first day in office because "during this period of economic emergency, families are tightening their belts, and so should Washington."
Of 344 White House employees who were listed on the payroll in both White House's 2009 and 2010 salary reports, 253—or 74%—got raises in 2010. And among that lucky overwhelming majority, the average raise was 9%. And plenty of people making more than $100,000 a year did get a raise as long as a title change came with it.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

•  According to the compensation-tracking firm Hewitt Associates, base salaries for executives and salaried workers went up 2.4% over the same time period. And John Challenger, the CEO of the executive consulting firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas, says "nine percent is double what we'd see for most executives, and even more for the rank and file. In 2009, companies were in recession at least half the year. Raises were much more in the range of 2% to 3%, maybe 4% to 5% for executives." And while Challenger says its not unusual for companies to reward 75% of staffers with annual raises, last year many firms skipped the practice. "Many more companies than normal cut raises altogether," he says.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• LOL! Considering I was only working in retail, I would say, Yeah, they probably deserved it more than me. I am sure their job was a lot more stressful than mine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Nice. My husband a Firefighter has not had a raise in FOUR years and is making less than he was four years ago but SO GLAD to see they are getting raises.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Doesn't suprise me one bit. I'm not blaming it on Obama though, pretty sure the same thing would have happened no matter who the President was.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would say that's just what I would expect from a man who had no experience in management , and learned well the culture of corruption in politics in Chicago.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• This exists in all sectors. Semantics used in terms of the definition of salary- bonuses generally not included. My husband makes way more money than I do (hour for hour) and his raise was higher than mine. Plus he gets additional benefits and compensations that I do not- different industry, different job, different parameters. Not every worker is treated the same. I am not surprised. Government spending needs to be trimmed-all of it. If salaries decreased in the private sector, prices for goods and services would fall as well. How many are ready to sign up for a pay cut or job elimination?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• And to think THEIR raise is dependent on American Citizen TAX DOLLARS...  To to say, "the same thing would have happened no matter who the President was"~ IMO that is the reason this country is BROKE...

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Plus he gets additional benefits and compensations that I do not- different industry, different job, different parameters.

Do you find it acceptable that tax payer dollars are going to pay raises that are not even proportional to the Civillian/private sector who GENERATE the taxes?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I agree with Sisteract.

My dh and I both received raises this year. What about teachers like me? I make 33,000/year. I have more education than my dh but he makes 60,000/year.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Are these the same staffers that are also NOT paying taxes?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2010