How do you make icing for sugar cookies?

I keep wanting to make sugar cookies every year for Christmas and never do. Maybe this year. My dad always bought two or three dozen from someone at work and they were delicious.

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 1:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Christmas cookie frosting seems like it would be hard to do, but I found its one of the easiest things going.

3 cups Powdered sugar
    1/2 cup Butter softened
    1/4 cup of milk or less

If you have a mixer start with 1 cup of sugar and the butter and beat well until mixture gets crumbly, then add milk slowly and sugar until all sugar is added and the whole mixture is creamy. If you are mixing by hand I would start with milk and sugar and combine milk slowly until it becomes creamy then mix in butter. You can always add more powdered sugar until you get to a nice smooth mixture. When you get the frosting smooth add food coloring to multiple small dishes of frosting. This frosting keeps in a covered container in the fridge for over 1 week. This same butter cream frosting can be used to frost brownies, cakes, and molasses cookies.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• All you really need is confectionate sugar & a few tblspoons milk whipped together.

BUT, you can add some things, like a few tblspoons of cream cheese, a sprinkle of cinnamon, a squirt of lemon... almost extract, vanilla extract. You can play with the flavor all day long.

I find it tastes best with a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of cream cheese, 1 tbsp milk..and slowly keep adding confectionate sugar until it's reached your desired consistency. Get a large bag of powdered sugar, sometimes i feel the small bags arent enough.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• TKS!
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I use powdered sugar mixed with fresh lemon juice

Answer by rkoloms at 2:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010