Should a 4 1/2 year old......

be using "sensodyne" toothpaste?? if not what age is appropriate for "regular" and not "children" toothpaste??

mylady13135

Asked by mylady13135 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When they are old enough to not swallow any and spit it all out. It still do not give it to my 5 year old but I think there would be little ones that are old enough for it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• They make a junior toothpaste for children that contains flouride. It's taste isn't as strong as adult toothpaste. My DD tried mine and it "burned" her mouth since most adult paste, it heavily flavored.
    Once they can effectively spit out the paste rather than swallow it, you can switch them to ones with flouride. My DD is 3.5 and uses the junior paste.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes when they can spit and swallow. Everything tells you to consult a doctor.
    Mommyofdos8

Answer by Mommyofdos8 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Thx, I only ask because my stepson's mother is a complete idiot...actually calling her that would be an insult to all complete idiots....but she sent him over with that sensodyne stuff....I didnt use it, I use what I use for my 1 and 2 year old which is the childrens toothpaste with floride....I was just curious on the matter is all
    mylady13135

Comment by mylady13135 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't. I would find some WITHOUT flouride until they can reliablly spit out the toothpaste without swallowing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• no, I think he's too young for that.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I meant that mine use the childrens without floride sorry.....its the orajel kind
    mylady13135

Comment by mylady13135 (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• my son's Pediatric Dentist told me to use a pea sized amount of regular toothpaste when brushing his teeth..My son is just 3 yrs old. He said that the little amount wouldn't harm him. But of course we are working on spitting it out lol

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2010