Would this be a good way to tell them?

My boys are 4 and 6 years old. I have never told them Santa was real. I have however let them assume he is. None of their previous Christmas presents have been from Santa, yet they still believe. (My six year old asked me last year why he didn't get any from Santa, and I asked him what he thought the reason was, but he just said I don't know. I think he suspects Santa is not real, but he doesn't want to admit it.)

So anyways, this year money is really tight. I'm going to be lucky to be able to get them one gift each. I want to sit down and have a talk with them before hand, and explain things, so that they don't get their hopes up too high. I was thinking of telling them that I am Santa. That anyone can be Santa, and every time they give a gift at Christmas they too are Santa. Do you think they are old enough to understand? (Side note: We are not religious, and only celebrate the secular aspects of Christmas.)

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 2:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Also, as a way to emphasize how anyone can be Santa, we will be making home-made gifts to give out to our friends, family and neighbors. The boys will play a big role in helping me do this.
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Even only celebrating a secular Christmas you can use the story of Saint Nicolas, which is where the tradition began. Snata is moer the act of giving not the person.
    Anonymous

• boy, you sure are ending childhood quick for them huh?
    you only get to be a child once, why do you have to ruin it so soon. keep your money problems to yourself, thats not there business, they are just kids - your the adult. & let them believe in santa for as long as they can. you should be helping them believe in santa.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have no idea..I plan to let my Son (nearly 3 1/2) believe for as long as He can.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• – collapse
    Open a credit card to get them gifts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Sounds confusing to me!!
    Anonymous

• Go to toys for tots. Also go on freecycle.com and see if you can score some gently-used toys.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Do not open a credit card. You STILL have to pay those off you know. lol
    Kids don't care what they get. Forget one gift each and get several small gifts. Crayons, coloring books, rubber ball, books from goodwill, clearance stuff... Some churches will assist you as well whether you are a member or not.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Our kids believed in Santa for a long time - they younger ones still do - and we let them. You are only a child once, and once that "magic" is gone, you can never get it back. Personally I wouldn't take it away, ever - but I definitely would allow them to believe as long as possible.
    We lived in a small town where for the kids who wrote to Santa, "he" answered them - and some even received presents from him (thank your local postal workers !) - and I've heard of it happening in some bigger areas as well. Allow them to write letters to Santa - see what happens.
    The spirit of Giving, the spirit of coming together as a united whole is what Christmas is to so many - not just the Christian aspect of it, though that is a major part. My blessings to you as you make your decision.
    MoonStruckMom

Answer by MoonStruckMom at 2:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Call your town offices, police department, and fire department and ask if there is a Secret Santa you can sign up for. At a minimum make something for them. When it was time to tell our kids we simply told them that adults continue the giving tradition of the story of St. Nick and all giving is done out of love.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2010