"The problem with kids these days is their parents don't spank them!"

If I hear that one more time, I'm going to scream! Children don't need corporal punishment. They need DISCIPLINE. Are there really people out there that can't understand that just because a child isn't hit, does NOT mean they are undisciplined?? And just because a parent chooses not to spank their child, does NOT mean the parents are afraid of their child, or afraid of hurting their feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I understand Gal, but you see there are others out there who do not spank and have ever spanked, as myself, and my three adults kids have grown up to be professionals, never in jail, never bullies and never in the path of a speeding car, so you see what works for you does not necessarily mean that this form of discipline works and is good for everyone. I have numerous friends who practiced this so called method only to be resentful of their parents as adults, like I said that fine line is there. In the real world there are no spankings, we learn by trial and error.

Answer by older at 3:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think the REAL problem is that parents are trying to be their kids friends not their parent.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• "Plenty of experts believe that spanking is not always wrong. John Rosemond, executive director of the Center for Affirmative Parenting in Gastonia, N.C., and author of several books on discipline, notes that 50 years ago almost all children were spanked. Yet by all accounts, children are more aggressive and prone to violence today, and at earlier ages, than they were back then. Rosemond isn't advising parents to break out the whip. He simply points out that existing research on spanking is unpersuasive. "There is no evidence gathered by anyone who doesn't have an ideological ax to grind that suggests spanking per se is psychologically harmful," he says"
    Time Magazine, May 8, 2008

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Sweetheart, that's your own personal belief.   I've only seen those types of children become wild animal children screaming and crying for something they want at the mall.  So, I have to disagree with you.

anony-mous

Answer by anony-mous at 2:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Different forms of discipline work for different kids. I do not spank my son at all but I do spank my daughter on a rare occasion. Spanking when done NOT out of anger is not a horrible thing. The thing is a lot of, obviously not all, spanking parents do so in the heat of the moment and do so out of anger. When my daughter does get spanked we talk about it first so we are both calm then I spank her then we hug.
    Anonymous

• I happen to agree with his opinion. You asked an opinion and I politely responded with the opinion of an expert in child rearing.  You have the right to disagree, I'm fine with that. 

good

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i do it both ways and spanking is not bad if done right. some parents get out of control. i never spank when mad. i have a child that has issues and that is backed up by his med rec. sometimes he is calm one moment and out of control the next. if you saw him at a bad time you would think he was not tought anything. however people that know him know better. never judge a child or their parents till you really know them. know what is going on in their lives. you may feel bad about your thoughts if you took the time. offer help not stares.
    sttawardnas

Answer by sttawardnas at 2:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• There is a difference between a proper spanking and hitting. The vast majority of parents who spank, don't do it right. In our house, spanking is part of the discipline. It teaches that they are negative consequences to our actions.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• spanking creates discipline by fear

Older, you obviously don't know what a proper spanking is. We don't do it to intimidate our children.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think kids are so bad for many reasons. 1 reason is that the parents are not with them as much because they both have to work or its a single parent family that has to work like two parents. They raise themselves or have other ppl do it for them. I am not saying all parents do this. My hubby and I have never worked at the same time, one of us is always at home with the kids. We can't have the 2 brand new cars, or 3 story house we live a very simple life, just so we can be there for our kids all times.

I don't beleive not spanking kids is the problem, I think least parent involvement in their children lives is.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 2:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2010