Not sleeping at 10 months

My 10 month old is still not sleeping through the night. He seems to be in the habit of waking at the same time and wants to nurse to go back to sleep. He has had moments of sleeping a 7-8 hour night so I know he is capable of sleeping longer. He is on lots of solids, so he shouldn't really be hungry. He is getting teeth so I have given him so Tempra every now and then if he seems to be in a lot of pain, but my mother thinks I should continue to let him scream it out. I don't like that idea...I tried it and it was really rough. I don't want him to think he is being abandoned...is he playing me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he might just need something to drink my daughter is 3 and she still wakes up in the middle of the night for a sippie she sleeps through the night once and awhile but not usually
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• He may just be on a schedule. My 7 month old is on a routine right now that she set herself one day and hasn't changed it yet. After being able to sleep all through the night since she was 2 months,she gets up 2 times a night no matter what.I usually give her time to go back to sleep but if she is not calming on her own I start out by changing her diaper in the dark and covering her back up, if that doesn't work, I sometimes just rock her back to sleep or I might give her a bottle if she seems hungry. I have been trying not to get her back into the night feedings because she gets plenty of food during the day and only eats like an oz in the middle of the night if she gets one. Sometimes they just set thier own schedule and it is hard to break it.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You said it at the beginning of your question - he's in the habit of waking up, nursing, and going back to sleep. He will outgrow it in time but there is no way to predict how many days, weeks, or even months that will take.
    You know he doesn't need the food. So you have to decide how and when you are going to break him of this habit.
    Can your hubby go in instead of you? He can offer him a bottle of water and leave.
    If not, try offering water yourself. This probably won't work since he knows you have milk and can even smell it.
    Other than that, I'm with your mom. He's old enough to know that when he screams, you come running. If he pitches a big enough fit, you give in. He won't think you are abandoning him if you don't but he will be upset and even angry that the rules have changed. You will be upset that you can't explain it to him. You'll both survive.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2008