I do not want my baby sleeping in the bed with us!!! (LONG)

My baby is just over 7 months. She has been sleeping through the night in her crib since she was 2 months old. About a month ago she started waking up and crying so one of us would get up with her and give her a bottle. My DH took her in bed with us one night and then she slept in bed with us. To make a long story short, she will not sleep in her crib anymore. It is to the point where we don't even try to put her in her crib we justtake her to bed with us. I know a lot of moms are very much into co-sleeping (which is totally fine) but we are not and I need my sleep and so does my husband. Neither of us can sleep soundly, we are too worried about rolling on her, or the covers going over her face, or a pillow. I just don't know how to break her of sleeping in the bed with us. I know I could just let her CIO but I refuse to do that. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

VastVeranda

Asked by VastVeranda at 11:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• let her fall asleep with you in your bed and when she is totally asleep move her to her crib

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 11:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• ****** I just want to add that she can be in a dead sleep and when she try to move her she instantly wakes up and screams. She must sense that she is not in bed with us****** I wanted to sdd that but I was over the amount of keystrokes for a questions
    VastVeranda

Answer by VastVeranda at 11:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My DD is 6 mo and we're going through this right now. We started this weekend, he took Friday and I took Saturday getting up with her. We just put her in her crib and every time she wakes up we rock her to sleep and back to the crib. Yes we were up most of the night, but last night was better...she lasted for 4 hour stretches. BTW she did sleep through the night before this transition. I have also been doing naps in the crib to prep her. Hope that helps.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 11:26 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Suck it up, let your baby CIO-she'll catch on after a few nights that this is where she needs to sleep. I am against co-sleeping, I find it dangerous and selfish that parents do this for some "extra bonding".
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 11:32 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I'm a co-sleeper with the same problem - I would rather she slept in her own bed, but she sleeps so much better in mine (even if I don't). And I also refuse to let my little one CIO - she's only 10 weeks.
    Someone suggested to me that you keep the bed time routine - warm bath, bottle, rock to sleep (or however you get them to sleep). But also - sometimes baby's just like the "smell" of mom and/or dad, so I took a t-shirt that I had worn all day and put that under the baby so she had a sense of me still being right there, and turned on some soft lullaby music (I use celtic lullabies).
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I am not doing this for bonding at all. I am NOT for co-sleeping. I didn't want to come right out an say it and offend anyone. I agree that it is dangerous, that is why my DH and I are getting zero sleep, we are too worried something is going to happen to her.
    VastVeranda

Answer by VastVeranda at 11:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• some of it may have to do with smell and warmth. a friend of mine had(s) the same problem, her fix was they "wore" the baby sheets to transfer smell or pharamones , she put a heating pad under the sheet and turned it on about 30 min before bed time then unplugged it so it was warm int he bed. stayed with her until she fell asleep , pretending to sleep in a chair helped its hard not to get frustrated but it can happen , they also kept the baby monitors alive and well and went to her when she woke up to let her know it was safe they wernt too far away where dose your baby nap? i got lucky with my daughter not so lucky with my son but they both sleep not with us now
    allensavannahs

Answer by allensavannahs at 11:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I recently read that when our little ones get to about 8 - 9 months old they may start waking up in the middle of the night. The article advised that it is best to quietly go in, lay your child back down or if it applies, tuck them in and go back to bed. They suggested not bringing your child to bed with you and not rocking your child back to sleep as this will create a new routine as it seems has happened in your case.

Good Luck.
    AustinsMama27

Answer by AustinsMama27 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Let her cry it out. It's hard, but after a good 4 days of throwing a mini-person fit in her crib, she'll understand that she can't sleep with you guys. My son tried this too around 7 months. It took 3 days of cry it out, and he goes to bed just fine now.
    PotatoMama

Answer by PotatoMama at 1:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• my stepdaughter refused to sleep in her own room. she;s 5 yr old. when she was a baby she was co-sleeping with mother. and now.. im married to her father and i had a baby who is 6 months now.. sleepin in her own crib. she doin just fine. and 5 yr old girl. who sleep next to daddy side on the floor with sofa cusions. she refused to sleep with the ligths off.. she is so spoiled.

she is going to be 6 yr old. she and her mother still sleep together at her mom's house.. can you imagine???? in the same bed. she never had her own bed in her whole life!~
    rachtrin

Answer by rachtrin at 1:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2008