Do you believe in letting your 6 month old cry themselves to sleep?

Do you believe in letting your baby cry themselves to sleep? If so, how long do you let them cry for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO! I think it is cruel.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• yes, no longer than ten minutes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No, never. If they are crying it's because they need something. Even comfort is a NEED for young children, we shouldn't be denying them that for our own convenience.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes for a small amount of time. This is when I would start doing it. So they can learn self soothing.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• yes, but only if I know that they are safe, not hungry, have a clean diaper, etc. However, I wouldn't let it go on for a long period of time (like tnm said). Also, if it's frantic at all then the baby needs to be calmed down and reassured immediately.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 3:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Between 6 and 7 months is when I started trying to get my DD to sleep in her crib. Before that she slept in a bassinet next to my bed or actually in bed with me. Anyway, she didn't just lay right down and go to sleep and I wanted her to learn to fall asleep on her own rather than put her down already asleep. We established a bed time routine- bath time, bottle, story, song- then I would put her down into bed. Of course she cried at first, I would set a timer for 2 minutes and then go in. Sometimes I picked her up and cuddled her until she settled down, or sometimes I could just pat her back and coo a little. When she was quieted down I would put her back in bed and go out, if she fussed I set the timer again. Eventually she learned. I think the first night I probably went in about 7 or 8 times, then a time or two less every night and within a week or two she was able to fall asleep on her own most of the time. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• well said kittieashy. a lot of people think "cio" means just throwing your kid in the crib and neglecting them. alot more is involved than that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• no
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i do, and idid. But they never cried for more than 20 min at a tmie
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 3:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No because my DD will cry so hard she will hold her breath and actually start to turn a shade of purple lol So to me that is cruel!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 3:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010