Two week old spitting up threw mouth and nose... please help

After feeding, my two week old usually spits up right away and doesn't give me time to burp her. Usually it's accompany with the milk coming out of her nose. I breastfeed and use formula and she responds the same to both. Is this normal? What can I do to minimize her spit up? This is so heartbreaking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just went thru this with mine. didnt matter if it was breast or formula She would tense up and the spit up would come out her nose. We went to the doc and she told me that she probably has a mild case of reflux that she will grow out of eventually - but if it continued or got worse - there were meds to try. I switched formula to Enfamil Gentleease - and she didnt like it at first - but after about a week - she is much better.
    good luck.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• is she on formula? if so you might need to change it my son did that alot and i found out he was lac tos so i switched his formula and he was fine
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Do you burp half way through a feeding session? If not you might try that. Also I'd consult the Ped about it coming out of her nose, I haven't seen that before with an infant.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 11:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My friends son had a milk protien allergy and reflux and would spit up after every feeding. You may want to look into that.
    erinb75

Answer by erinb75 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My youngest had a similar situation. He would spit up 24/7 and it would also come out his nose. His doctor sent me to a specialist and he had suvier reflux, its treatable. They switched his formula put him on some meds and after about 8mths he was back to regular formula and off his meds...
    momma4boys717

Answer by momma4boys717 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• oh.. and by the way. If it is reflux. Try keeping baby in as much of an upright position to feed. Burp often. And keep baby sitting at atleast a 30 degree angle for 30 minutes after feeding.
    I usually just hold my little girl on my chest for that time. But you can also use the bouncy seat, or swing.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• my son still does that at 6 months..he has acid reflux and is on zantac but he still spits up through his mouth and occasionally his nose(this really hurts him)...talk to your pedi but mine made no suggestions i dont think theres much you can do besides feed more frequently smaller amounts
    KasonsMom

Answer by KasonsMom at 12:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My son was doing the same. He is breast and formula fed. We had to switch formula 4 times before the doctor found the right one....Enfamil Gentlease
    armywife090806

Answer by armywife090806 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008