A friend in perpetual need..

We have a family friend, lets call him Pete (not his real name). Well Pete has been unemployed for about 3 years now.. he has never been good at keeping a job since we have known him.. in fact part of the reason he has no job is because he constantly gets fired and has worked so many places in the area and burned bridges that no one wants to hire him. He tried going back to school but lost his aid and had to drop out. Then got kicked out of his apartment.. you name it it has happened to Pete. We let him stay with us a few months 2 years ago and still no job. He spent the summer at his parents house trying yet again to get a job.. and I saw him go out allot and put in apps..Nada. We found out last night that his parents are kicking him out (which I can understand for a 32 yo single guy).. our friend may be homeless by Monday. What do you think you would do to help him?

MamaJasmine

Asked by MamaJasmine at 3:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Nothing. he's a grown man. he should be figuring it out himself

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• they have places out there to help people like him if you dont want to take him into your house try searching online for places in your area.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Wow, that is a really hard question, since due to the economy some people are struggling to find work. I would gently suggest maybe he needs to enlist at the employment department and maybe some counseling. There is something else going on and maybe he needs to work on himself and his self esteem. As a friend, we can encourage another person but it is ultimately up to them to make a difference in their life.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• He'll never grow up if people keep giving him hand-outs. The kindest thing you can do for him is to let him figure out what he is capable of doing for himself. He might choose this lifestyle because it's easy...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Pete needs some counseling to figure out why he keeps getting fired.
    There is obviously more going on in Pete's mind...he has developed this apparent habit of ONLY seeking
    employment when it's a LAST resort. That's not normal at the age of 32. But hey why should he when sooo many
    people are willing to help...why be accountable? Don't enable...be respectul but don't enable...offer a couch perhaps
    on the pretense that he has to clean your house, watch kids, AND turn in 3 Apps per week, and seek vocational counseling.
    Yes, it exists..lol.
    This guy may be using getting fired to just be a bum?? So, you need to figure out (or rather Pete needs to) why he keeps
    letting himself get fired.
    Hope this helps and Good Luck for YOU and Pete!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• If I had a "Pete" in my life I would let him live in our camper or hunting shack but not in the house....only because we rent and we would loose our lease if we had any additional people move in
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• There are some people who need a reset button in life. I have two people I know personally who come to mind when I read this. One, an ex, lost his14+ year job and hasn't been able to find another, lived on unemployment but even that has an end. He ended up in a local two year rehab program and is now doing well. The other, soon-to-be brother-in-law, moved with my sister cross-country after burning bridges where he was. He is now doing awesome, has two jobs and is actually helping with the bills! I recommend having him move to another area where he has no support to fall back on. If there is no safety net, we watch our step!
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It's called tough love. If someone keeps rescuing him he'll never learn to swim. Give him emotional support, but don't let him live with you. He has to do it himself!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• not to sound dumb but has he tried to get govenmental help? they can help him get a job....but he has to take what they give him...my sons father got a job handed to him and he turned it down,so the government denied him...
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2010