Does your hubby snore?!!

Okay, so I am having this problem....my husband snores a lot. He snores so loudly, that I wake up sometimes, and can't fall back to sleep. He's got a rather short fuse...so it's kind of hard to talk about this with him. His main issue is this...when he was younger, he got into a fight, and his nose was broken. So every time he sleeps, he snores...and he said he can't help it! He thinks I should just accept him as I am, and deal with it. I am all for accepting him as he is...but some help please? While he is working 12 hours a day, I need some type of energy to be with my 2 little energy balls all day! When I brought up the idea of earplugs for me last night.....he basically, looked at me like, WHY ON EARTH would I need them?! :) Seriously...I took a shot of Nyquil last night and slept fine, but for real...somethin's gonna give!! How do you deal with a snoring spouse??

BBorjas83

Asked by BBorjas83 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Mine used to make me crazy until we found out he was literally choking on his uvula and had enlarged tonsils. He had his tonsils, adenoids, and uvula removed and hasn't made a peep at night. So, I guess the thing would be to find the cause because it could be medical or he could just be a reallly heavy sleeper. And it is possible that a broken nose could cause snoring problems. He would need to be evaluated for a rhinoplasty because he could have a deviated septum from the injury. That's from a medical standpoint. From a personal standpoint, I would just not sleep with him while he snores. He'll get it or he won't. I slept in my recliner until my husband's problem was solved.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Use the earplugs if you want to . That is totally your call, not his. Our friend had to move to another bedroom because he snored so loud. He finally went to a doctor and got help because of it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• me and my husband have not slept in the same room for years because of snoring...it sux but it is the way it has to be
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My DH snores quite a bit. I really think it has to do partly with his allergies and partly to do with the weight he's gained over the last 18 months. Usually it doesn't bother me once I'm asleep, but most nights he falls asleep before I do, and it's difficult trying to get to sleep with him snoring.

My mom snored pretty bad and she had a sleep study done recently. Apparently she has sleep apnea and now has one of those c-pap machines. In addition to the snoring, the sleep apnea was causing her not to get enough sleep even though she didn't realize it. She would be exhausted all the time until she got the sleep machine.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• omg yes but i got so use to it that i sleep through it now lol
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My dh snores but it's when he doesn't snore that I wake up and think something is wrong. But if you're not getting any sleep, earplugs could work short term. But I wondering it there is anything that can be done medically, some kind of surgery perhaps. Otherwise, I know how I am with not getting any sleep. I'd have moved into another bedroom or be sleeping on the sofa if he's snoring that bad and interpreting my sleep.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Your husband sounds so much like mine. He has such a bad attitude that i get afraid to wake him up. He has asthma, so I guess he has an excuse,but it's still frustrating when you can't sleep and have kids to take care of. So, i deal with it the best i can, and just give him a elbow a couple of times,he just wakes up and says,what happened, i say nothing,he turns over, and some times he stops snoring. I hope you figure out the best way for you so you can get some sleep,it'll work out for you.GL
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 1:10 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• He might not realize how bad he snores - I had to tape record my husband to prove it to him ! After that he had no problems with the ear plugs. After a while though, I had problems with the earplugs, so I would stay in the bed with him until he fell asleep and then go off to my daughter's spare bed, and then eventually to my own "spare" bed. I felt like I did back when my daughter was little, having to stay with him until he fell asleep, but it worked for a few years.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 14, 2010