Is this normal?

My 6 mo old DD is constantly grabbing, digging, and pulling at her vagina at every diaper change.... I do redirect and keep her hands away, but I want to know is this just normal infant curiosity or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Very normal. My daughter discovered hers about that age. She is 8 months now and has stopped a little. I just move her hand and tell her "No, No, thats yucky, thats where peepee comes from"
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• it sounds like it or she might have an yeast infection if you notice a rash or it red call the doctor
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It could be an infection; but it also is normal......

As long as there is no signs of an infection, then it normal.

Mine when they were that little did that when their diapers were off......
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:20 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My 10m old does it too. But she dont have a rash or nothing.
    And i thought you werent suppose to tell them its yucky. I asked a ? about my son playing with his thingy (yes i said thingy) and it bothering me and i get bashed for telling him it was yucky.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Everyone raises their kids the way they see fit. I tell her it is yucky because it is. She grabs it before I can even clean it with a wipe, I dont want my child playing in her own urine, lol. I'm not telling her its bad to have a vagina, but it is bad to play in pee!!!
    We call hers her "stuff" lol.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If you are concerned about telling them it's yucky - just make sure you say something like "No, no. Let mommy clean the messy peepee and poopoo off first."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Neither one of my DD's did that... now my son, that's a whole other ball game. With every diaper change he grabs his penis. Its part of their bodies and they are just exploring themselves. It's not uncommon or "gross" they are not materbating its just something new. I try to wipe my son down as soon as I get the dipe off but if he grabs himself before I can clean him I just wash his hands after the diaper change.
    MDPLopez3

Answer by MDPLopez3 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008