Were or are any of you depressed while pregnant? I can't seem to control my crying.

I could be having a minor argument with my husband then mid-sentence start to feel a lump in my throat and my eyes start to water. Then once it starts, it's very hard to stop. I've had days where I just felt awful and cried. My last pregnancy was nothing like this, I was so happy and excited. Now honestly I just feel left out, bored, and like I have nothing to look forward to doing. Sometimes I wish I could just pass out for a week.

I do remember feeling like this in my last trimester last time, but I'm only 16 weeks along now. :/ Is this how it's going to be the whole time? I guess I'd like to know if any of you mom's experienced something similar to this and what you did to help it. If you were prescribed any anti-depressants, did they work? Was your baby effected in any way? I took Zoloft the last month of my last pregnancy which didn't make me miss positive, but then again it kept me from crying every day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, I didn't experience this, but my sister in law did. She did nothing for it, but I think she still has some issues. I would talk to your doctor about it, I'm sure they can be helpful to you. Good luck
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have constantly felt like crying throughout most of this pregnancy and I am 6 months now. Not only do I cry but I get real over the top angry but my doctor said its all hormones that she didn't want to put me on anything unnecessary so I am waiting it out. I don't think it will really effect the baby in the long run but who knows. just talk to your doctor. Try to relax. My biggest fear right now is the possibility of ppd because of all these emotions.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes I was very deppressed thourghout my pregnancy. I cried all the time couldn't control outbursts, I was a freaking mess lol.  I wouldnt leave the house, my anxiety was out of control, I usually just in bed and did nothing. I was scared and I worried constantly. I couldn't stop crying  one day so I had to make an emergency appt to the obgyn, My head hurt from crying so much. He put me on zoloft but it made me feel awful. I couldn't take it. I didn't take anything. It was the worst the 2nd trimester. My family was worried that since I was like this while pregnant I would for sure have PPD and everyone would have to watch me, but this def was not the case. I was so relieved after I had him and was the happiest woman on earth! Thank goodness! I hope that my next pregnancy is the total opposite of the last! I hope you feel better GL to you!

Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I was always either crying or laughing. It's your hormones. I felt like I was really sensitive all the time.
    LogansMamma0511

Answer by LogansMamma0511 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i often have days of feeling down and wanting to cry bout nothing and nothing can cheer me up. i hate feeling like this. i also get worried that if i am like this now, what will i be like when he is born. i cross my fingers and prey to god it will all disappear when i have him in my arms. try to relax and have a day to yourself. a nice bath, get ur nails done. go for a walk. i find walking my dog helps me a good bit, she cheers me up alot cos shes so funny. good luck, hope u feel better.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 1:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Sadly, women don't hear about depression during pregnancy, only post partum, but it's just as common. Are you able to get in to see a counselor? It might be worth seeing one to help you work through your emotions. It's more than just hormones. I promise you're NOT the only one who's gone through this. I was there, too, and it sharply increases the risk of post partum depression. So if you start getting treated now, it will really help later, when you're also learning how to be a mom, possibly learning how to nurse, are sleep-deprived, etc.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2010