Wooping cough vaccine

Is wooping cough vaccine a routine shot? If so when do they get it?

annonymous359

Asked by annonymous359 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's called Purtusis and it's included in with the DTaP shot.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• ....and I'm not sure what ages for certain, sorry. You could call your local health clinic for more information. You should also get one if it's been a while since your last one to help protect your baby.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes, and 2 month check up, or at least that's when my son got his
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• 2 mos, 4 mos, 6 mos and 18 months. It is now also recommended for parents of infants, daycare workers, anyone around infants, because Pertussis is on the uprise.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think mine got it at 2 months? Also it's a good idea for your and your DH/So to get the TDaP (the adult version). One, it updates your tetanus which is always a good thing. But even vaxed babies and children cna still get whooping cough, and teh most likely person to give it to them is mom and dad. If they do get it, and are vaxed (specially if mom and dad are) it will be a mild case of whooping cough, compared to a child that is unvaxed. If you're concerned about the mix of vaccines, ask if they can do each part seperately. We had no issues though, with any dose of the DTap or TDaP
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I know its a huge debate right now, but I really encourage you to look in to it before getting the vaccine. My daughter just got her last DTaP, when she came down sick. Her doctor then explained to me that even though she is vaccinated against whooping cough, she can still get it just as likely as other children. There is a really good documentary on vaccinations hosted by Jim Carey and Jenny McCarthy (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/)
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 4:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• "Her doctor then explained to me that even though she is vaccinated against whooping cough, she can still get it just as likely as other children."
    If that is true then why would they ever give the vaccine? No vaccine offers 100% protection. The pertussis vaccine is effective about 75% of the time. if you are vaccinated, then you are significantly less likely to get it.
    "It (the vaccine) is 59-89% effective in preventing pertussis"
    "Pertussis is one of the most contagious human diseases, so it is a great risk to those who are unvaccinated. Pertussis will develop in 90% of unvaccinated children living with someone with pertussis, and in 50% to 80% of unvaccinated children who attend school or daycare with someone with pertussis. "
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010