Would you call the board of health on your landlord if you moved into an apartment that was flea infested and didnt know when you moved in?

i moved into and apartment and i have 3 cats neva had fleas..and now my cats have fleas called the landlord and he answered one time a week ago finally and said his exterminator finds no reason to exterminate..ive bombed my apartment myself and gave cats all frontline gel treatments and still have fleas been complaining for ova 6 weeks and no call back ..and now im all bitten went to doctor and got cream and antibiotic and still no reply from the landlord...and the tenants upstairs have them too and they been here longer than me....

honesty33

Asked by honesty33 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Pets

• Yeah I think the thing is find out what kills fleas and then kill them and send him the bill, send him the bill for the dr. and the prescription. You know he is just going to blame it on your cats.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Sounds like a problem that needs to be addressed to someone if the Landlord is not taking responsibility.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would for sure! if you have done all that and still no response heck no.. they should be paying.. the problem is that you have to prove that you didn't bring the fleas in with you.. do you have vets records that state they have been regularly treated with frontline?
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 4:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Move. Get out of your lease and move on. Why deal with a landlord who is unwilling to fix an obvious problem? If he doesn't want to let you out of your lease, say you're going to call the appropriate housing authority to report his unwillingness to address the fleas... (And make sure your previous landlords will verify that you didn't have a flea problem at your previous homes, or the problem may be yours to fix!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I'm sure he had no way of knowing when you moved in. And he might think that you brought the fleas there with your cats..if you go to court or anything like there is really no way of proving where the fleas came from. I would call him in personally..good luck.
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i called they are coming monday and the exterminators said they cant treat the house until the landlord gives permission and my cats are goin to the vets to get all shots and flea treatments next week ....i have proof there not from my cats and i save all my receipts from everythin i buy or treat my cats for...
    honesty33

Comment by honesty33 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have to agree with GoodyBrook and also if hes avoiding you like the plague over fleas imangie whats going to happen when something bust or breaks and you need him to come fix it.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i cant move i have section 8 and they told me i cant break my lease to call the board of health and my sons asthma is much worse ..i lived in my aprtment b4 this one for 7 yrs and they will vouch for me that i had left no fleas behind and the cats were seen at the vets b4 i moved and they had no fleas then...and the tenant b4 me was real dirty and i have pics of the broiler on the oven b4 i cleaned it had an inch of cat hair and fur in it..gross
    honesty33

Comment by honesty33 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• im willing to pay but im going to withhold my rent and i already got an estimate how much it will cost to do the whole 2 family house and outside...and hes avoiding section 8 too..
    honesty33

Comment by honesty33 (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Find out if other tenents have had problems with fleas since you just moved in and you've never had a flea problem.
    (Get statements if possible!)
    That could help in proving your case that it was NOT your kittys!
    I would def threaten to call the housing authorities if he does not help you and you have your proof!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010