Remember your BEST Thanksgiving? What made it so special?

For me it was the second Thanksgiving after my first baby. His first Thanksgiving, we decided we would start our own tradition, with just the 3 of us. The next year, we decided to spend with the extended family, and have our own celebration the next day. It was so nice seeing how much everyone appreciated having us there. It made me feel okay about the holiday, and not see sharing it with everyone as an obligation. How about you?

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 4:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• Probably 2005. We had JUST moved, were just starting a completely different life, and we were putting together a Thanksgiving dinner with boxes and everything around. My youngest son spent the entire dinner laughing and jumping in his Jumparoo next to the dinner table. I just remember it being a really nice, positive time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• The Thanksgiving before DH & I got married was probably the best. My MIL hosted it that year, and we had everyone there: my parents, his mom & her DH, his brother, his grandfather (it was the last one before he died the next year), and MIL's in-laws. It was a really nice time, and DH & I (fiance at the time) spent the whole day in his apartment cooking together. It was a nice time just the 2 of us before we went over to his mother's house.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My best thanksgiving was when my parents where still alive and the whole family was together. that was some time
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Mine was in 1997. My oldest son was just 7 months old at that time, and we had just moved to Nebraska. It was my husband's first duty station, he had only been in the military for 6 months. We were BROKE, and we were staying in temporary lodging (thankfully we got the one with the bedroom, full kitchen, etc. On that tiny stove, I made chicken and dumplings, cornbread dressing, and corn, and made a pie. It was our first Thanksgiving with our son, our first Thanksgiving without our families, and the first time I had EVER cooked for Thanksgiving. Though we couldn't afford a turkey and all the trimmings, we set the table, lit some candles, put DS in his high chair, and we all had a nice dinner. Then afterward, DH and I cuddled on the couch watching football while DS slept. That is my most memorable Thanksgiving.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010