• In the Spotlight:

Do you think that the bible is the LITERAL word of God? Do you feel that the bible is infallible?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes I do believe it is literal and infallible. If not then it has no purpose, God either lied or doesn't even exsist. So I guess that makes me foolish and unintelligent by some peoples standards. But that's okay!!! Faith is the substance of things hoped for and evidence of things unseen.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It was always my understanding that the bible was written by various men (maybe disciples?).....i.e. The Book of John, The Book of Job, etc. I may be wrong, but I don't think it is the LITERAL word of God.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't think it's a meant for literal interpretation. It's can be fallible depending the the way a person interprets meaning, the stories are meant to teach but they have to be put in context.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I do not believe it is the literal word of God, no, or that it is infallible.

I believe that it is a collection of the accounts of man that explain how they understand and relate to God/faith/life/humanity/etc. I believe that much of it, especially the OT, is Mythos, which is more metaphorical and points to a truth that transcends the mere words on the page. I believe in reading the Bible within the context not only of the text, but of the history, language, tradition, etc, etc, in order to best ascertain what the pages are really trying to tell us. Its not about what the literal words on the page say, IMO, but what they mean, what they are trying to convey.

I do believe the Bible contains truth and reveals truth, just not that it is truth itself, if that makes any sense.... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Oh, and I don't think it's infallible.....they're stories.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It is a beautiful work of fiction.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Anybody who really believe that should have his head checked. Brain might be missing. No offense, but .... come on!
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No and No.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't know. And no.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No and No. I believe the Bible is an excellent example of how historical fact, religious myth and simply day to day life can mesh together and become something bigger...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010