Any ideas on getting my kids to gain some weight?

My 6yo only weighs 40 lbs and she needs to gain at least 2 to be at a healthy weight. Her clothes hang off of her and she is very bony. My 7yo is just barely over a healthy weight. They will not drink the Pediasure and I don't just want to give them junk food. They eat three meals a day and 3 snacks. We always have a protein, starch, and a veggie with dinner. My 6yo went on some medication 2 months ago for bipolar disorder and she has lost 5 lbs, we really need her to gain it back.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 5:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If they are eating fine and theres no reason to believe that this is a medical emergency then I wouldnt worry about it. Lots of people are a few pounds underweight but are still healthy. If they start acting tired or weak then look into it.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 6:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• milk shakes with whole milk and whole ice cream, some fruit can be added, too. Calcium, protein, vitamins D and C.

Answer by Bmat at 5:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Does the doctor say there not at a healthy weight, cause my 6 yr old weighed 40 pounds for 2 yrs... they said he was fine. he was growing just not weight wise... he takes depakote, so i know the whole med issues and weight too.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 5:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I was trying to get my baby cousin to gain weight & her pedi had me adding butter to stuff & using whole milk and lots of eggs
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:31 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• this is a very tuff one , same issue with my 10 yr old son , he will drinf strawberry ensure the best , then boost chocolate -- these arent cheap tho , and i will let my kid eat sweets at times for just the calories and daily he gets vitamin s , i get at my witts end on this issue.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My kids were all that way at 6 and my Dr. told me to make them egg yolks for meals in things or by themselves. This is the best protein naturally they can get. Give to them once a day. Also, if they drink milk, she put them on WHOLE milk (some people won't drink it because it has higher fat content but the Dr. told me it's the GOOD fat - essentially needed in growing kids for brain development). Make sure they get a multi-vitamin daily. With the milk, my Dr. also said to use chocolate or strawberry syrup to get them to drink it. "Whatever it took" were her words. My kids began to slowly but steadily bulk up and reached their 50th percentiles within a few mos.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• depakote actually makes people tend to gain weight. Lamictal will make them lose it.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes her psychiatrist said she was underweight and that she has to gain back at least two pounds. She already drinks at least 20 oz of milk a day and last week I changed it from 1% to whole milk. I am just worried about her.
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have a friend who had a certain type of weight gain supplement powder she put in her daughter's milk, you might look into that.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2010