do you have an back up supply of non perishable food in the event of an emergency? (natural disaster, financial emergency, etc)

If not, why is that?

If yes, what do you stock pile on?

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nope. I have a very small house and nowhere to store a stockpile of food. I was thinking about cleaning out a shelf in one of the closets and stocking it when we get our tax return.

Now my brother has enough freeze dried food to last his family for 2 years. Yes he is a bit of a nut :p

I am curious to know what others have stock piled though. Like what kinds of foods...
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have a lot of canned goods- well I mean a pantry-full. I try to have canned vegetables, fruits, meats. I figure they don't need to be cooked or hydrated.

Answer by Bmat at 5:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• no, I couldn't keep it anyways with 4 teens . They find everything.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 5:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have canned foods, but nothing that is for the purpose of keeping it on hand. The odds of a natural disaster here are pretty rare and I'd rather buy food we can eat, not food for a dooms day.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I always restock what gets used so in the event of an emergency we will have a month's worth of food without restocking
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• The food that I keep well stocked on is fruits, veggies, potatoes, tomatoes, rice, pasta, cereal, soups, meat, sauces, so if there is a power outage we have plenty of food, I also always have juice boxes and cases of water on hand as well
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Nope. I live in an area where natural disaster would have to mean fire, in which case food isn't going to help. Because of the terrain floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, whatever, just physically can't happen... And when we end up with blizzards we just walk. When we have something we could put away, we prefer to simply pass it on to those who need it now rather than plan for something that will most likely never happen.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes. We get snowed in pretty frequently, so we have a lot of soup, cereal, water, canned veggies and fruit.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 6:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I keep soups, bottle water and rotate them so they don't go bad.
    I have a big freezer so when I catch meats on sale I buy.
    You never know when we will have alot of snow.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Not right now while we live in an apartment, but we're definitely planning on it when we get a house.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2010