Husband's fine china, silver and crystal from previous marriage

Would it bother you to serve dinners for your guests on the formal dinnerware of husband's previous 25 year marriage? Ex wife left him and didn't want it. We've been married for a year and have several dinner parties. The guests always say "What pretty crystal and China you have" and I feel pretty sh*tty because I know it was wedding gifts from his previous marriage. It is makes me upset ever time I look at it! Now Thanksgiving is coming up and I will be tortured again. What would you do and how would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I used plenty of things from my now ex husband's first marriage. i didn't care. But that's just me.
    If it bothers you, just get some new stuff.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Either you stop thinking about it like that and know that now it is yours, or you buy new stuff.....
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 5:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i would sell that crap and get me something new....if its worth anything, if not perhaps target practice :D
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• If you no longer want it, why not donate it or sell it through a consignment shop? Don't keep it if it bothers you, but also don't destroy something that is beautiful when it can be enjoyed by someone else.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Talk to your DH and see if he's open to you selling the HIS old stuff and starting new with together things.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 5:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• needs to go.... old memories don't need to linger...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Dont think of it that way. Its just something you got a great deal on from someone else...think of it as a great score from a yardsale.lol. Seriously you married her husband whats so bad about eating off her dishes? Hes not hers anymore and neither are they.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 5:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• it is objects, and not very personal ones
    but
    if it bothers you, sell it and get different set
    i bet your husband would not care, and you would have to tell him for him to even notice

give yourself a gift - replace it - trade it with another woman in your situation
    be thankful he is with you, be thankful that he does not care about chins ( i assume he does not care if you (traded it for another set)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My husband and I got rid of everything we owned before we got together. We started fresh, except clothes, pets and art supplies.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 6:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• You need to find a way to walk through your feelings and accept these these..they are nice things and get compliments right? I have alot of things my husband shared with his ex wife, I hate it deep down but I accept things for what they are and try not to dwell on things from his last marriage. It is our marriage now..also just to let you know the first 2 years were my needing to accept those things and then with time I got used to used it. The hardest for me was using their bed..I wanted a new one but had to accept the fact that theirs was just as good and now 7 yrs later it is mine. If you cannot accept these things from his previous marriage go out and get new stuff.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2010