Doesn't faith run deeper than the Pledge of Allegiance?

I just saw an ad (political) and it stated that the "godless americans want to remove god from our lives." Huh? How is that possible? Does this mean that your god merely exists b/c our money states it, or b/c our pledge has one line with god in it? I thought faith ran so much deeper than this. Doesn't this give an awful lot of power to us "godless" people, when your god is so almighty?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yeah, it's stupid. Those ads annoy me.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think what bothers me the most is the need to label other AMERICANS "godless". That serves merely to degrade other people who have different views and beliefs AND implies that they are less american. It is incredibly distasteful.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Our Faith is in the Lord Jesus Christ. Faith knowing that when this world is no more that we still have Him!!! And no one can take Him away from me! I am secure in Him...whatever may happen in this country. I love this country and pray God blessings upon it.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I totally agree with you. Those ads are scare tactics hoping people will run wild with ideas that the next thing the "godless" will want is to close down churches! Like they won't stop until every religion is UNDONE! Anyway, I think people forget that the changes to the pledge and the money were just done in the 1950s.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• America didn't find God on the almighty dollar (actually, the 2 cent coin) until 1864...and he didn't make an appearance in the pledge until 1954...a move that the original author of the pledge (had he been alive) would have been critical of, according to his family. Not to mention, that this country was largely founded by deists.

...theocracy scares me...just look at the past 8 years...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 1:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i have never met an atheist who wants others to discard their religious beliefs, only those that disagree with having religion forced on them. i personally am uncomfortable with people assuming i'm a christian and in participating in groups that require me to read passages from the bible that is not part of my belief system. i am not an atheist and i have great respect for jesus and his teachings, but the god i believe in very strongly and has been shown to me through my life experiences is different than the one being presented in ways that assume everyone feels the same way. if we can respect all religious beliefs equally politically, including atheism, religion should not be part of politics or anything else we share in common, including money.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Wonderfully put figaro8895!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I can understand that the flag represent America,like other countries have their flag to represent them. But, I feel like God comes first and foremost. JWS don't salute the flag because God is first. The flag just shows our country, God shows us, people. If we salute the flag we are putting it first, I don't think God would agree with that. We stand, but don't salute. Some countries take the flag so very serious, like it was God. People have acutually been killed over the flag in some countries. To me that would be like bowing down to a flag, an object with no feeling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2008