Getting a tattoo with your spouse/partner. How soon is too soon?

I have plans with my partner to get "matching" (although our tattoo is going to be corresponding) and anyway, I would love to do it as soon as I get the extra cash but I was wondering--how soon is too soon (to get a tattoo with a partner)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I was with my husband for ten years and never did that.. never will. he got my name on his arm without telling me.. well, he's stuck with it now cause he's too broke to get it covered.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I wouldnt ever get a tattoo that in anyway associated me with my partner. name or anything. I think its a curse but thats just me! And I wouldnt ever reccomend it unless yall were like married..and very commited. You can't get a tattoo removed and you cant ever change the meaning of it
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 5:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Our tattoo is going to be "I love you" on our hands so that it comes together while we are holding hands. (If that makes sense) so I'm not worried about having to change the meaning. And I don't think I'd ever want it covered. We don't want to ever do our names though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• There is never a too soon, or a too late. If it's the right time for you - go for it. In the case that something would happen to you as a couple later, you can always have it covered or removed. Wrecking Balm is awesome!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't think I'd ever do that. It seems like as soon as a couple gets the tatoos, the relationship ends- good luck!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't think I ever would. My BIL was married to his first wife for 15 years and with her for 18 (they were high school sweethearts). He had a tatoo with their names on his arm. He is now married to my sister and finally got that tatoo covered up.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i got a corrosponding tat of the word "potential" on my shoulder and the guy i was with got it written across his back...while i love the tat itself because its very pretty, i do regret it now...we had only been together a few monts and i wanted a new tat anyway, so he convinced me to get the same word as him. i hate explaining it when people ask now and my SO (who im madly in love with and have a child with) says he hates seeing it because it reminds him of me being with my ex. ironically enough, my SO and i met through my ex, so i tell my SO that its part of our story now because if i hadnt been with my ex we would have never met eachother.....i dont think theres a certain time thats right for everyone. just make sure that if you do split up (because very few relationships really do last forever) you wont regret it. my SO and i plan to get matching tats for our son as soon as we have the money...we've been together 4yrs.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i would ever do names... ever.... the only thing that me and my husband have right now that matches is our sons name... i'm for it as long as there is a good meaning behind it.... i also have my husbands birth stone and birth flower on my arm it will always be there but if we do ever go our different ways at least i'll know i never got his name.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I tattooed my bf's name on the back of my neck after 3 years of being with him. As soon as I did it, the relationship started going downhill. I ended it with him another year later. When my Now Hubby and I started dating, he came with me to get a tattoo to cover my ex's name. He obviously couldn't stand looking at it. We've been married for 3 months now and although we have toyed with the idea of getting matching tattoos, we have not even begun to think about what it would be. I don't know. I wouldn't mind getting matching tats with my husband- but the whole boyfriend thing was the biggest mistake! How dumb of me. :)
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• You can get a tattoo removed (laser and there's this OTC balm called Wrecking Balm) first of all.
    However, you can't change a meaning of it...which is a really good point to consider before ever getting ANY kind of tattoo for
    whatever reason.
    How soon is too soon? How long have you been together?
    And remember some Marriages of 14+ have ended in divorce.
    My aunt and uncle ended in divorce after 20yrs of marriage...he just got sick of being married!
    I really wouldn't recommend getting a tattoo for a symbol of love.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2010