Bird is so weird!

I have a Military Macaw who I found in my driveway about 3 months ago-what are the odds!- and it's exhibiting really strange behavior. First of all, it's infatuated with me. It won't come out of its cage unless I'm home, and it usually tries every attempt it can to fly on me/be close to me. It follows me with its eyes and moves around its cage constantly when I move, and it's strange. It also screams at me if I don't pay it attention, and hangs upside down from its cage and flaps its wings, not full span, more like when baby birds are eating and their wings move..It seriously is creepy. I've attempted to hold it about one million times, and each time it bites me. I've let it fly on me before, and all it did was bite me..I don't understand, any help?

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 6:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Pets

• It obviously adores you but doesn't trust you yet enough to let you hold him.
    My two Cockatiels do the exact same thing...hang up-sidedown, scream at me to pay attention to them et cet...
    I've had them for about a month and can't hold them yet either but they let me put my hand in their cage.
    Take it slowly, he may come around to letting you hold him.
    You should feel honored that he chose YOU to adopt!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It is probably looking for its female owner. I don't think they see all that well (although I could be wrong) and when you get close to hold it, it realizes you are not it's "mommy" and screams at you and bites you. We had tried to adopt a Cockatoo, who did the same thing. She loved men though and it turned out that she was actually hatched by a man who abandoned her after she was a couple of years old into the care of a relative, who is who tried to adopt her out to us. Anyway, she always screamed at my husband because he did not want to have anything to do with her. She loved it when a male friend would come to visit because he would hold her. I tried to hold her (she wanted to cuddle on my chest), but after a few minutes, she would realize that I was not her "daddy" and she would get a "look" in her eye that I knew she was going to bite me next ! I would check the local vets, newspapers, and Craig's List to see if ..
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• ......anyone has placed a "lost bird" ad. Hopefully you can reunite her with her "mommy". These birds get very attached to a particular family member and live for a long, long time. I know a lady who does bird rescue in MD and she has problems with the bigger birds in particular not adapting well to new homes because of this. GL !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• This bird is probably only about 7 or 8 months old, we checked EVERYWHERE and think he came from a huge bird show they had around town not too long before he showed up! It's been some time,
    gabrielle_x

Comment by gabrielle_x (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010