Are there certian tattoos you see as to "taboo" or off limits? - Not sure where to put this...

We were talking earlier today about tattoos and the meanings that come with some of them. For tribes who still use them as a way to show honor there are those tattoos which can only be applied once earned, to apply them otherwise would be a great offense to that culture.

So, we started talking about our Culture and how some tattoos are still seen that way. While it's clear that tats which carry offensive meanings would be "taboo" for most, what about others? I said I felt a US Marine Tat would be off limits for someone who's not a Marine, because it wasn't earned. To me it's no different than going to these other cultures and having tattoos which are meant to honor achievements that weren't earned... My DH seems to disagree...

What do you all think? Are there some tats which are simply off-limits without being earned? Even in our culture? Or is this thinking something which is to "tribal?"

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you, that military tattoos are strictly for those who have earned them.

Also, getting a gang tattoo without being initiated into a gang is pretty much asking for someone to come and kill you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i think that a tattoo is a tattoo. i dont see why someone would want a military tat that wasnt in the military or didnt have someone in the military but i also dont see why it would offend anyone in the military. its like if a mom got a tat symbolizing being a mom but isnt a mom.. that would be silly but it wouldnt make me mad just because she isnt a mom.. or if she was but was a crappy mom i would just laugh. i wouldnt care. those who get it because they earned it.. know they earned it and their loved ones know they earned it. those who get it just to get it.. are silly but still wouldnt matter to me
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• tribal tats (in their culture.. would offend them) but i dont think that someone who isnt in that culture should worry about offending them if they like it, especially if they will never encounter someone in the culture. most cultures who do tats for accomplishments also have strict "rules" that do not allow them to even get the tat without earning it,
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• and just read the gang one.. obviously these people have issues bc if not they wouldnt kill an innocent that got a tat that was similar or was their gang tat. though i dont know anyone who just WANTS to have a weird tat that would look some what like a gang tat.
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• "...especially if they will never encounter someone in the culture. most cultures who do tats for accomplishments also have strict "rules" that do not allow them to even get the tat without earning it..."

But we just gave you two solid examples of where that DOES happen in our culture. And honestly, I think that an individual who has served in the military probably would be offended if someone else were pretending like they had served and never had by sporting military tattoos. It's a disgrace to say that you saw combat when you never did.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2010