How do I help my morbidly obese friend love herself enough to lose weight?!

My very best friend has steadily gained more and more weight since I met her, 12 yrs ago. I am guessing she weighs somewhere in the 300 range. I am scared for her life. She suffers greatly from many health issues. She has two boys to take care of. We live states apart, so I feel so helpless.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• Love her enough not to bug her about it. As an overweight person myself, I hate it when people think that they know my health status better than I know myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Stop judging her and thinking that she doesn't love herself. Fat people do love themselves ya know. Leave her alone and alone talk to her about it if she asks for your advice.
    Anonymous

• She will not make a change in her lifestyle and habits unless she has a reason to change or she WANTS to. You can't do that for her. Just be there for her now and if and when she wishes to make some life changes, be there to support her.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 1:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I had a friend who encouraged me. He just put it in the form of he wanted to be friends with me for a long time and for that to happen I needed to consider getting healthy. I lost almost 50 lbs and hopefully will lose more. it's certainly not an easy task taking off all that weight. At many points you don't see an improvement and you give up but it can be done and very simply by changing eating habits and simple stretches and weight training (lifting small weights). I also used bands. I hate exercising. I only did simple yet effective things. If interested, have her just look at the ABS diet or the No Cardio Diet. Tell her to remember that muscle weighs more than fat so in the beginning she may not see a weight change but when the muscles get toned they will burn up the fat and then she'll see results. Also, have her see her doctor. She should also consider joining some sort of support group, even if just one online on CM

Answer by admckenzie at 1:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• im not sure really, you could just be a support system to her, does she care about her weight?
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I am not judging her, anonymous. I am concerned about her. Did I say on here that I have even discussed it with her? No. Have I said anything about the discussions she and I have had over the years? No.
    SO YOU STOP JUDGING ME b/c I asked for help. No reason for you to be such a snot in your reply, geez!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008