ok ladies, i posted a question last night about how to increase my milk supply. I know my baby is getting enough milk at the breast,but when i pump i get nothing maybe at most an ounce.

I have to go back to work on Tuesday and i have to be able to have my husband feed my 2 month old daughter while I am gone. Problem is, i cant pump enough milk. Even if I pump 4 times a day, I am lucky to get 4 ounces. Im not sure what is going on, but I do know I have to be able to pump enough milk for while I am away. Any suggestions?

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 7:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• kellymom.com will have answers for you!!! GOOD LUCK :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 7:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• formula supplement

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• How long are you gone for....8 hours?? You may have to supplament 1 or 2 feedings. If you really dont want to....try another pump. SOmetimes I got more when I used a hand pump, but I never got much either....bummer for us.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Baby is the best pump hands down. There is a product at motherhood maternity called Mother's Tea which may help. Lentils in your diet will boost your supply as well. Personally I opted for formula supplement and made sure that baby would be hungry when I got home. Another thing to try would be to pump while baby is nursing.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• You might find that your pump output increases when you are pumping for a missed feeding. Baby needs 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour of sepreration, so depending on how long you will be at work, you might be fine with what you're pumping now. What do you have stored, as of now? How long will you be gone? Will you be able to pump regularly at work?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• What kind of pump do you have? That can make a BIG difference! Does your pump fit you properly? Pump flanges are not one size fits all. A pump that is too big or too small won't work well.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• An ounce at a time is a successful pumping session. BUt you need super boobs!

Heat can help you let down more. You can put rice in a tube sock and heat that in the microwave. (un cooked rice, dry rice) and put that against your breasts for 10 minutes before you pump.

Looking at pics of your baby can help you pump more too.

When you are home, wear your baby in a wrap or sling. When I wear DD all day I make way too much milk. It.s the close skin contact. It really helps.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Have you been away from her for any length of time where you had to pump because she wasn't there to nurse. If so how did you do?
    A few things that I did
    1. I pumped for five minutes each breast after my DD was done nursing. The pump told my breast that I need to produce more because the baby was still hungry.
    2. I recorded my daughter crying when she was hungry and had a picture of her on my breast pump.
    3. I also went through a spell of dehydration from an illness. I went to the Health Food store and bought a tea called mothers Milk and let me tell you I was getting 8-10 ounces at a time after that. I really didn't care for the taste of it, and it was something i beleive you drank 3xs a day or more. Good Luck!
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would assume that since you are returning to work that you have a double electric pump, but if not, you should definitely invest in one....

Most of the pp's had great advice...

Here is a link to a video that has helped many NICU mom's, including myself, increase pumping output.....and may just help you too!

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010