I don't know what to do with my neary one year old

She has recently started crying absolutely hysterically at night if I am not in sight. My husband feels so upset, because when I have to go out, he can't do anything to console her. He doesn't get to spend very much time with her (he works 60-70 hours/week) and he just told me that he feels like she wants nothing to do with him. I'm not necessarily concerned with her sleeping through the night, just how to make her comfortable when I'm not around. Help?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 7:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• awww I wish I could help but I have never went thru this before with my kiddo's I just wanted to say that I really hope things get better and that is wll be easier when you have to leave her when you go do things
    shelly2226

Answer by shelly2226 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My son is 1 and he's going through the same thing. He screams his head off when I leave. Your daughter is going through a stage where she's now become attatched. She needs to know it's ok for y ou not to be around. This isn't going to be easy but you might try letting her spend time with other people, or your husband ifpossible more often. Also if you know that she's content and safe dont alway hurry to get her when she cries. She needs to know that whenyou leave she will be safe if your not around.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• wish i could help too.. but im a stay at home mom and hardly leave my girls and they take to their father perfectly! Hope it gets better.. maybe try having her around him, playing w/ him, sitting with him, when you are home as well so she see's you but is content with being with him! also, ive heard to leave something that smells like you for them! good luck(:
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 7:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Going through the same thing with my son right now-he is 11 1/2 months old and he throws a fit everytime I leave or even just go downstairs to where he can't get to me-my poor husband is in the same boat. I have just been making sure I don't "reward" his behavior. Good Luck!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 8:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It's a phase. She will outgrow it. Give her something of yours when you leave. (like the t-shirt you've worn all day) Perhaps even a blanket you've slept on, anything with your particular scent on it. Have dad show her your picture if that helps. She just has to get used to the routine. You have to give her time to adjust.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• All babies go through this. my husband worked it out. The go for a walk, car ride, or he plays music for her on the stereo or you-tubes lady gaga. The worked out special games the two of them play. gaga for some reason soothes the savage baby. I had to work so they hashed it out with love. It's not personal, it is how babies are hard wired. when she has decided nothing but mommy will do she's inconsolable, but it happens less and less over time.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2010