Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can i help my youngest son who is 8 manage his Bi-polar?

my youngest son is 8 years old and he id Bi-polar

Answer Question

Asked by dakotachrismom at 7:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 9 (293 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I would talk to his doctor, find a counselor, wishes,'s not easy...

    Answer by Anna92464 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • thank you

    Comment by dakotachrismom (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

  • Wow. So sorry. Very hard disorder and serious. If he doesn't have an IEP for school...get one. Focus on the related services they can offer him - not the behaviors he has due to his disorder. It is all about what they can provide for him. Read guide books on IEP's so you know what to request. Social skills, cognitive behavioral therapy, and family therapy is essential. Of course when a child is manic, in a rage, or experiencing psychosis - it becomes about what you can do as a parent to assist your child through those manic times. And through those real low depressive episodes.  This a family issue and one where all members need support.  Support groups also can help.  Finding a good match between you, your son and his doctor and therapists - will also help.  Being a team and taking one day at a time.  Best wishes.


    Answer by frogdawg at 11:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

  • he has a 504 plan the school says he dont need a IEP

    Comment by dakotachrismom (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

  • Honey, the school just lied to you. I worked in a school as a therapist. Personally, if this were my child - I would have the IEP. IEP carries more weight legally...which is why they don't want you to have it. Don't follow the 504? Well not much you can do. Don't follow the IEP? Then there is a lot you can do legally. Get the IEP. Read Nolo's guide to IEP's to why it is better. You can find it at Barnes and Noble. Let me put it this way - if he has to miss school, leave school, or do half days, has some behavioral issues all due to his disorder you need the IEP.  But that is just my humble opinion.  Of course the school says no.  Laugh my ass off at their typical standard response.


    Answer by frogdawg at 11:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

  • thank you im going to talk to them againand tell them if another parent complains i will tell that parent the truth tell them straight up the school said he dont need special ed and regular ed would not cause problems

    Comment by dakotachrismom (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.